Author Topic: If YOU built a 427 Shelby Cobra replica, what engine etc ?  (Read 8487 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: If YOU built a 427 Shelby Cobra replica, what engine etc ?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 08:52:32 AM »
About the trans... a friend have a 70 corvette with a supercharged 468.
He blew the T 10 and put in a 6 spd ZF together with the supercharged engine, took alot of modification to fit it
He says everyone said thats the trans to have but the most waisted work i ever done,
 a two speed would suffise beacuse i start in third  and shift to 6th
not the same tq in a N/A 428 but the corvette is much heavier than the cobra
so....Does some one realy need more than 4 spd besides from bragging rights??

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 09:05:05 AM »
I'd have to do the dual paxtons. Saw the "Super Snake" at the Shelby place in Las Vegas a few years back. After seeing that, you can't un-dream it.

This one was at my friends house a few weeks back. We had a couple drinks, so going for a ride in it wasn't advisable. It's built out by Roush. Has a new coyote 5.0 in it with a VMP blower. Advertised at 650hp. T-56 transmission. That would be a pretty hard combo to beat quite honestly. Unless you're stubborn like me and would make a 482 cube FE with twin paxtons, struggle through tuning it for 2 years, and still try and convince myself it's better than having all the modern stuff  ;D

I loved the color.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »
A brand new 460 CID 9.5"deck 351W based engine. A modern 5-6 speed stick tranny. A Ford 9" rear (for strength) although a IRS based rear using 9" parts would be best.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-Z460FFT
Bob Maag

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 10:04:36 AM »
A guy I work with has a backdraft cobra same color as the one in front of the castle a couple of
posts back with silver stripes. It’s got a very strong 347 with a TKO in it and it honks and handles.
If you were to close your eyes and listen it sounds like a 427. But I’m not sure who said it earlier,
If the car don’t have what it’s supposed to have in it then I just lose interest in it. Not that it isn’t a nice car and I would never put anyone’s car down because that’s what they either bought or built and that’s what they love and who am I to change that. That being said 427 or 482 with Toploader  I think
it would drive better with the independent suspension but can that handle 600/650 horse, if not
9 inch with 3.50 gears. At 2500 lbs wow gives me goose bumps ;).

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 10:24:14 AM »
Someone needs to put an FE in a vintage Corvette. If I'm at a show and I walk up to a nice 30's Ford I get a thrill from seeing a flatty in it, but I can accept a 302 or an FE. If I see a SBC it is as if the car disappeared before my eyes.

A Shelby needs an original SBF or an FE, preferably an FE. You have a lovely one.

BTW, I have always wondered - I'm 6'4", and most of that is leg. Are these cars for more modest sized humans or can a big galute drive one comfortably?

I agree. Can you imagine what people would say it a FE was in any Vette, Cuda...etc ? 
My LoneStar has a 4' floor pan and stretched 4" in the cockpit. I'm 5'9" and can't touch the firewall. At a show, a man that loved my Cobra and said he's wanted one, but was too tall at 6'3". He tried to sit in a nice Midstates Cobra, but was too tight. I told him to sit in mine, and although he raised the tilt steering wheel all the way up, he shouted, "allright" !  Lol

I then said start it, he said, "are you kidding". Wish you could have seen his smile and excitement. After the show I let him drive it. It was a special day.

I don't know if you at 6'4" can fit, but check LSC or if you are ever around my neck of the woods, come by and see if you fit.
Omaha/Lincoln Nebraska.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 11:22:38 AM »
I agree. Can you imagine what people would say it a FE was in any Vette, Cuda...etc ? 
My LoneStar has a 4' floor pan and stretched 4" in the cockpit. I'm 5'9" and can't touch the firewall. At a show, a man that loved my Cobra and said he's wanted one, but was too tall at 6'3". He tried to sit in a nice Midstates Cobra, but was too tight. I told him to sit in mine, and although he raised the tilt steering wheel all the way up, he shouted, "allright" !  Lol

I then said start it, he said, "are you kidding". Wish you could have seen his smile and excitement. After the show I let him drive it. It was a special day.

I don't know if you at 6'4" can fit, but check LSC or if you are ever around my neck of the woods, come by and see if you fit.
Omaha/Lincoln Nebraska.

Sigh, I guess I'll have to just admire them from a distance. Maybe I should try out a Pantera some time.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
I tuned up a friends Cobra that was built back in 2006 with a Ford Racing 460 crate engine with the aluminum Cobra Jet heads and with a 5 spd and 3.73 gear with drag radials as his road tires it would scare the heck out of you,as a passenger, in 3rd gear. 1st and 2nd was useless under any heavy throttle.
He wanted me to "tame" it down by putting a 750 Holley DP carb on in place of the Barry Grant 950 before he sold it to his brother who hadn't handled any power like that.
That didn't slow it down hardly and made the throttle response even better!

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
I loved the color.

Dual Paxtons would make it a nightmare to work on. And there's just NO way to use that much power in one of these cars.

But that color is my favorite on these cars! I saw an original many years ago that was this color. It was the most awesome looking Cobra I'd ever seen, but it didn't have any of the add-ons that this one has. I'd ditch the stripe, get rid of the chrome on the jack plates, get rid of the ugly black paint on those rims and paint them a stock looking magnesium color, and probably even ditch the side window wings. Anything that's added just detracts from the natural beauty of the design, IMO. Of course I'd have to have a 427 in it.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 12:58:36 PM »
The only one to have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnl4Y-nYdJE

Who wants all the amenities of a late model car?  What's the fun in that?
Larry

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »
Super Snake  Carroll Shelby builds Cobra for Bill Cosby  (sorry about your  legal problems Bill)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd4kszgcK9E
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »
I'd go with a 427 inch Windsor build. 550-600 HP and 500+ Torque and less front end weight!
Of course the big Windsor is my specialty.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
I loved the color.

Dual Paxtons would make it a nightmare to work on. And there's just NO way to use that much power in one of these cars.

But that color is my favorite on these cars! I saw an original many years ago that was this color. It was the most awesome looking Cobra I'd ever seen, but it didn't have any of the add-ons that this one has. I'd ditch the stripe, get rid of the chrome on the jack plates, get rid of the ugly black paint on those rims and paint them a stock looking magnesium color, and probably even ditch the side window wings. Anything that's added just detracts from the natural beauty of the design, IMO. Of course I'd have to have a 427 in it.

Agree with your style, black sidepipes, that gold tone magnesium look, no wing windows...keep it clean as possible. 

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 02:30:18 PM »
I'd go with a 427 inch Windsor build. 550-600 HP and 500+ Torque and less front end weight!

A 427 inch Windsor is a small Windsor these days.  I don't think I've built a 427 in a long time.....have all been 434's, 445's, and 460's.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 02:44:13 PM »
Super Snake  Carroll Shelby builds Cobra for Bill Cosby  (sorry about your  legal problems Bill)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd4kszgcK9E

I still have the album "200 mph".   Classic.   
Larry

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »

A 427 inch Windsor is a small Windsor these days.  I don't think I've built a 427 in a long time.....have all been 434's, 445's, and 460's.

Yes there is always more to be had but for what I do on the street at 2950 lbs it's like a go kart now!