Author Topic: Radiator Selection?  (Read 4162 times)

mammyjammer

• View Profile
Radiator Selection?
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »
Curious what brand radiators the group runs.
I'm leaning towards the largest radiator Griffith makes for my 58, but $600.00 seems pretty steep compared to some of the other radiators on the market.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Radiator Selection?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:20:32 PM »
I have had really good luck with the cheap Summit Racing aluminum radiators.  They are about 200 bucks, and one of them cools my Galaxie like a dream.  I had one in my Mach 1 too, when I was running the 511" medium riser engine, and it also cooled well.  I had to notch the frame rails of the Mach 1 to get the 19 X 31 radiator to fit, though.

I don't particularly care for Griffins because they use epoxy to help seal the core to the tanks.  If you are going to spend that much on a radiator it ought to be fully welded in my opinion.  For my Mach 1 with the supercharged engine (which was a big challenge to cool), and also for my Shelby clone, I ordered custom radiators from C&R racing in Indianapolis.  They do a lot of NASCAR stuff, and they can make whatever sized and thickness core you want.  Really good products, IMO, and about the same price as a Griffin.

http://www.crracing.com/
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 01:07:52 AM »
yeah I got the same as Jay...  2 years, 10,000 miles no problems. 

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:45:02 AM »
The Summit brand ie: Northern Rad is a great kit.
I bought the universal kit with puller fan and did a cut to fit on the green Fairlane.
I really like the look, it almost looks stockish.
The only issue was the lower outlet pipe is welded on at a angle pointing up and towards the engine.
I had to make a hose/pipe combo to fit.
It's a great deal and I got the kit on sale for about 300 bucks a few years back.
The thing works so good in my part of the world "not very hot" I have to put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad to keep the heat in.
Your engine will run and look better and make more power.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Cooling-Heating/Section/Radiators/Part-Type/Radiators/Brand/Summit-Racing/Universal/Yes/Inlet-Location/Upper-passenger-side/Outlet-Location/Lower-driver-side/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc&page=2

mammyjammer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »
Looks like you guys saved me from buying a glued together radiator for $600.00. Thanks!
I have a Summit radiator in the 58 now and it had no trouble keeping the 352 cool. The rad I'm using was gift from a friend and it does not fit well, but it got me by for a couple of years. Looks like I need to find the right one on Summit's list and order up!

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »
For what it's worth, Griffin states on their website that their tanks are fully welded. They use epoxy to increase the stability where the core attaches to the tank and not for sealing purposes.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »
I have a Champion 4 core off Ebay under 400 bucks seems to work so far almost a yr. Its big well made from what I see all welded no epoxy. It can idle under 190 all day with focus dual fans. When I cuise at 75 2500 rom it creeps up to 200-210

afret

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
If the temp creeps up at highway speeds, it might be due to the need for more airflow through the radiator.  The Spal dual fans have rubber flaps near the top and bottom of the shroud that open at higher speeds to let more air flow.  You might consider making some holes and adding flaps in your shroud if there is room.