Author Topic: Drag Week 2018 is underway.  (Read 15901 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Drag Week 2018 is underway.
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »
I think he ran an 8.99 yesterday, not sure if that was him that they were making a big deal over.
How did Joel do today I didnt watch any of it today

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 09:36:58 PM »
Joe, Finnegans run was a 9.008 yesterday. They were making a big deal because he ALMOST made the 8's. Joel was a little slower today, don't recall his exact time, but everyone was running a bit slower today because of the DA.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2018, 10:09:32 PM »
I missed a bunch of the live feed today, but Joel texted tonight, and Hot Rod has the Day 4 results online - Joel turned in a 10.629 @ 111 slip today, I also saw him run a 12.239. He texted that the clutch was slipping today, the street drives are taking a toll on the race clutch. He's going to try an adjustment and hope he can get at least one more good run. He's still sitting in 4th place. Joel & Jeff did make the ride today to the hotel without issue, so it's just one more run to the track.

Like Doug noted, the actual altitude and the Density Altitude really slowed some of the competitors today at Bristol. Some were able to turn up the boost, or maybe feed a bit more nitrous, and ran pretty close to their previous et's, so a few of the standings in the competitive classes moved a bit.

Tom Bailey is still holding on to the top spot in Unlimited and overall quickest ( 6.8815 average ), but he slowed a bunch today and I didn't see the pass, so I don't know if he's wounded or not. Both Bryant Goldstone ( 6.989 ) and last years winner David Schroeder ( 7.0241 ) are very close.

The cut off for the quickest 32 in the Street Machine Eliminator class really was lowered this year. I think the cut off last year was 11.05, right now this year ( with one day to go ) it's 10.75. The quickest 32 in that class run a bracket race to determine the class winner, and the bar keeps moving faster each year. 10.00 is the quickest you are allowed to run in that class.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:11:16 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

TomP

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2018, 10:35:50 PM »
Kevin, you are going to need seventeen stages of nitrous to get that Lincoln into the bracket race next year.

I saw a bit this morning before work and am watching the replay now. Handy that you can fast forward past oil downs. When I left this morning Tom Bailey was in the burnout box waiting for ten minutes or more and I never got to see his run.

Link:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-UUPBWnIBI

The Jonnie Linberg/Richie Crampton Top Alky powered Chev wagon is wild. Amazing that engine can last more than ten minutes of street driving. Aren't the valve springs something like 500lbs on the seat and 1200+ open? It sounds like the engine is the one from the #2 qualified TAFC that Leah Pritchett's husband ran at Indy a week ago.

That black 55 Chev with the blown 460 Ford is trying to make up for the dozens of damned LS swapped Fords.

Doug instead of 2 65 Galaxies with 390's how about one Galaxie with two 390's? That ought to pick ET up to a less embarrassing level.  :P   I think they could be mounted end to end with some minor firewall hammering and you could just unhook one for the street drives to maintain gas mileage.  8)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:41:58 PM by TomP »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2018, 11:02:25 PM »
Kevin, you are going to need seventeen stages of nitrous to get that Lincoln into the bracket race next year.

Boy ain't that the truth lol. I've actually been following the results of that class pretty close, I'm afraid of where the cut off will be by the time I actually get my current project, and hopefully future Drag Week car, finished.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2018, 11:07:29 PM »
So even though we are rooting for everyone of our guys there, Scott is the only guy
that’s got a shot to take it all.

TomP

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2018, 11:45:18 PM »
Scott's car is amazingly fast. In a class where there is no cube limit on big blocks the FE should be at a real disadvantage, obviously it isn't.
 I'd love to know what's inside that engine!

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2018, 02:53:01 AM »
Doug instead of 2 65 Galaxies with 390's how about one Galaxie with two 390's? That ought to pick ET up to a less embarrassing level.  :P   I think they could be mounted end to end with some minor firewall hammering and you could just unhook one for the street drives to maintain gas mileage.  8)

I wasn't even going to do a burnout because I figured only one wheel would spin, so I just rolled through the water and hit the gas to try and dry off the right tire. My son told me both tires spun. I was amazed..lol I couldn't foot brake it because with the drum brakes, I knew it'd push right through the beams, so I just waited and hit the gas. It launched about as hard as a fat turtle walking uphill :P

A funny story about tech, the guy was looking over my car and said "you don't have a driveshaft loop", I said "I know, the car won't be fast enough to need one". He replied that NHRA requires one with slicks, I told him again that I won't be fast enough to need one. He informed me that he'd have to limit me to a 13.99 et, I said Noooo problem ;D

Of course my horns worked on the way down, but at tech they were back to warbling, trying to clear their throats. I kept hitting the horn ring trying to get them to make a sound when somebody else honked their horn. I immediately said "there, did you hear it?" They laughed, I laughed, my son laughed, it was a good time..lol I kept trying the horns when my son mentioned that they were trying to work, so the tech guy listened and heard the faint pathetic sound of it warbling and said "I heard it....passed"  ;D  Always lots of good stories from Drag Week, even if it was only one day for me.

As far as FE's go, Scott was the only one with ANY shot at taking a trophy before it even started. Yes, it's amazingly fast for what the car is, because the Street Race class is the most restricted of any class there. No fiberglass panels allowed except for the hood and bumpers. No body alterations allowed, of any kind. Must use stock type suspensions etc. Basically the only alteration that's allowed are mini tubs that don't intrude on the factory frame rail locations. Like I said before, it's a testament to Blairs engine and the Millers ability to get it to hook. I saw and learned a few details about the engine when I visited Blair, but I won't give them away.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2018, 10:15:16 AM »
So even though we are rooting for everyone of our guys there, Scott is the only guy
that’s got a shot to take it all.

I saw Scott run a 9.34 @ 149 this morning so he should have wrapped up his class win.

Jim Kitchen with his '86 T-Bird was solidly into the fastest 32 of Street Machine Eliminator as of last night, I missed his run this morning, but assuming he's still in he has a shot at winning the bracket race.

Although not FE powered, Dan Saitz looks to have wrapped up another win in Modified Power Adder with his turbo small block Ford powered '88 Mustang. In an event overrun with LS powered late model Mustangs & Fairmonts it's cool to see someone dominate with a Ford powered one.

There are quite a few other nice or interesting Fords again this year. There are a pair of I believe brothers, Chris and Gary Salkeld, running a '65 Falcon in B/Gasser and a '64 Fairlane in A/Gasser. The late model Mustang with the Boss 429 is back and running 7's. I've seen a '70 Cougar, no idea what it's powered by, but I'd guess if FE we'd know.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
Backed up the live feed and just saw Scotts 9.34. Yep, that's enough to secure him the win as the next guy has only managed bests of 9.4+. Congrats to Scott and the crew!! That's TWO wins in a row! What an awesome job.

I don't think that Cougar is FE powered. I didn't see any others there except for Scott and Jack, which is pretty sad.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »
Hot Rod officially announced the Drag Week 2019 tracks today. Planning for Drag Week 2019 starts today! Only 51 short weeks to get ready.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2018, 11:12:17 AM »
I'd never really considered doing DW because it was generally a bit of a drive, but man the 2019 tracks are all right in my backyard.  Have to start considering it, trunk's so big on the Merc I wouldn't even need a trailer :)

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »
Watch it, Chilly, that's what got me started, when they had the tracks all within 1 1/2 hours of me.
But man, I don't think they could have picked worse spots. All on the coast, all surrounded by major cities like Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and the traffic of New Jersey. That does not appeal to me at all! Next to LA and San Diego, that has to be some of the worst traffic areas in the country.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2018, 11:41:10 AM »
I'd never really considered doing DW because it was generally a bit of a drive, but man the 2019 tracks are all right in my backyard.  Have to start considering it, trunk's so big on the Merc I wouldn't even need a trailer :)

It is the most fun you will ever have with your car while simultaneously being tortured for a week lol. Because the event does move around a person really should take advantage if it's close.

Two things I always say - If you aren't sure your car will be done, or you may not be able to get the time off, at least get on the waiting list. So far no one has who has shown up for registration and was on the waiting list has ever been turned away. And being on the waiting list means not paying until you know you're in. They started with about 375 cars this year, with a planned limit of 400, so there was still room. Although the event sells out in about 5 minutes each year, the attrition of hopefuls is massive as Drag Week draws closer.  Also, don't worry about being too slow, I guarantee there will be slower vehicles even if you show up with something 391 FT powered ( that would be cool though ). Get on getting ready right away though, the amount of people still thrashing at the last minute seems to be a Drag Week tradition, Just ask Doug  :D
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
I've been to the tracks listed, and living in the area I may be a bit numb to the East Coast drawbacks.  You're right though, there is potential to be in some traffic.  However, if they don't force you to take the normal interstate 95 and beltways, those tracks are accessible by decent secondary roads.   

VA Motorsports Park is well South of town, easy to get to and Richmond is a small easy to navigate town. 

Cecil County is well East of the DC/Baltimore mess but could be a bit hairy getting around there from a traffic perspective if they send you on a stupid route.  If it takes you up 301, to 40 it's not too bad. 

ATCO I have no clue.  Lived in NJ when I was a kid but avoid it like the plague. 

Budd's Creek - Again if they take you down 301 it wouldn't be too bad, that area is well south of DC congestion. 

I'll have to read up on rules, do you have to travel during prescribed hours or can you wait out rush hours and such? 

May be looking at this with rose colored glasses but tough to pass up being that it begins/ends 40mi from my house.