Author Topic: clutch fan or electric ?  (Read 2605 times)

bartlett

• View Profile
clutch fan or electric ?
« on: September 16, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »
Im getting ready to install my fan setup and Im worried about my clutch fan.... Its all pretty new ,but can it handle the quick rev's and the hp (500) .... I also have a electric fan setup as a pusher for traffic/ parades ect ...  :-\

RICK LAKE

• View Profile
Re: clutch fan or electric ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:39:15 AM »
I see no problem with using both if the charging system is up to it. Electric cooling fan needs about 20 amps to run. If you have a basic 60-70 amp charging system and do alot of idleing in a parade you may have a problem with the battery not getting recharged. You didn't say what the thermostat temp is? I run an all aluminum motor and have found on hot days there was not enough flow of the coolant though the radiator and my motor gets hot and run in the 215f range. You might want to try an Mopar thermostat in your motor. The hole opening is 1/2" larger for more flow. This may be all you need for the fix. You are going to need a relay and heavy wire in the 10 gauge range. You can add a sensor to turn on and off the electric fan when it hits a certain temp. There are kits for this in Jegs and Summit. If you have a local Pepboys or Autozone said for the correct FE one and check the size on the housing. I think it's 52-54 MM. Check Stant# 14138 and see if this one will fit? The collector on the bottom is removed  if this is the one. I have done this a couple of times but lost the # of the Stant. Big increase in flow and temps hold even on a 100+degree day in the 190's- 205 racing. Rick L Ps want more info call me at 732-254-3536 in the evening from 8:00pm to 10:00pm est time. Good luck with problem.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:26:39 AM »
The clutch fan will cost you some horsepower under acceleration load, but will probably cool pretty well.  I'd be looking at a good electric, maybe even a pair of pullers, if you want to avoid that parasitic HP loss.  Rick is correct about the electrical part of the equation; if you are going to run a couple of good electric fans (like Spal fans), you will need at least a 100 amp alternator, and good wiring to the fans and fan relays.  Unfortunately, its not just buying the fans...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »
Great info .... Love this site..... You guys realy help not make mistakes the first time ...lol  ;D