Author Topic: Value of a rebuilt 428 short block?  (Read 2416 times)

FERoadster

• View Profile
Value of a rebuilt 428 short block?
« on: August 15, 2018, 11:37:59 PM »
Bought a C scratch shortblock 1966 a few years ago and just stored it for future use, It's +020 and no ridge and still a nice cross hatch in the cylinders.
Now a guy in Brookings Or. (where I live) just needs one and uit has to be a 428. I tried to talk him into a 445 but no go.
I will sell it to him because I'd just as soon build a Prison Break kit.  I do have 20+ 360-390 blocks and a few early 352's and Edsel 361 engines. Just picked up 2 410's as well. So what is a fair price to sell it to him to go towards a 445 CI engine? Don't want to give it away.
I do have a fresh 390 block bored to +030 for the 445 so just assembly would be needed but fitting the crank etc. is understood.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Richard >>> FERoadster

ntheogen

• View Profile
Re: Value of a rebuilt 428 short block?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 01:50:02 AM »
So is it a c scratch or a scratch block? There was no c scratch in 66 but the know you know that so it must have been a typo somewhere. That guy has been calling me and we've been talking for a few months now, I was seriously thinking about buying the Mustang racecar he has that he needs this block for. It's a pretty nice coupe and he blew the bottom end up at the track I believe the first time he took it out after he bought it. He's a good guy and told me he found a guy in town that had all these fe's, good to know I can tell him not to worry about who he's buying from, he's in good hands.

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »
Took another look and the block is 8D8 and the intake is 6L.
Got the 2 dates reversed.

Richard

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 03:13:14 PM »
Spoke to Mitch today and he said he has always been a MoPar guy, but he did buy his 68 Mustang drag car with a stroker 428. Car came from the Seattle area and was consistently a 9.95 second car. The engine had Eagle rods and threw one thru the side of the block. He was told that 428 blocks are stronger so that's why he is looking for one.  He might of misunderstood a 427 block.

He is coming buy my house tomorrow (Friday) and we will discuss his options. I'm going to explain the benefits of the stroker cranks and maybe hold onto the 428
Are there any issues with a 4.375 crank?
His 68 Mustang is for sale now on the Oregon Coast Craigslist. Couldn't post a link.

Richard

fomocoloco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 07:57:21 AM »
IMHO the block is worth 2k +. shortblock good to go 3k. that is a valuable date code. it will not go down in value.

jim
9 65-72  f100 sb trucks 6 428's 1 460 2 521 strokers
1 66 f100 lb ranger
3 67-75 f350
numerous parts vehicles and parts

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »
After a 2 hr. discussion about FE's and looking at 6 or 7 of them we talked about the cost of the 428 + a 4.25 stroker kit verses a 390 block plus the same kit. Seems like he isn't only a MoPar guy (but he does have a Hemi Cuda aluminum block 600+ CI) and a 63 Caddy and a 59 Chev. post car and an earlier Challenger rag top he is really interested in FE's as well. Showed him how to  ID a side oiler and how to tell if the block has been retrofitted with cross bolts. Explained the casting process and showed him the codes for such things as C7ME vs. C4AE etc. as well as 352 vs 105 on the front wall. Explained and showed him 1U vs 2U and other cranks. He was a sponge for info and really knoweleable but had been misinformed.
So a good ending to the visit. Not sure if I sold a block or not but the 428 will probably stay here. It is a C scratch 8A9 block not the other engine which is a 8D8 bored +060 390 block.  I'll see his shop (60X100) next week.
 I will be posting his 68 Mustang for sale HERE  and on the old FE Forum later today with a picture or 2. Seems like TomP Dale and Rory must know this car since it was built and raced in the Seattle region. He has receipt from the builder for over $60K.

Richard

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 02:22:13 AM »
What was he misinformed about? He talked to me on many different occasions...

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 10:13:26 AM »
Jack it wasn't you, locals here who don't really know much about FE's told him a lot of folklore about block strength, casting #, side oiler vs top oiler, and what you can and cannot tell about an FE.

Mitch is a good guy and we will be talking back and forth for a long time. He lives about 8 miles from me, so that's close in the FE community.

Richard

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »
Yeah he seemed like a good guy from my conversations with him. I tried to fill him in on things pertaining to FE'S since he was mostly a Mopar man. Glad he's got a local to help him and so he won't get burned. It was difficult to not buy that car, I wanted it as a toy but it bad timing for me.