Author Topic: Cobra Headers/side pipes  (Read 1444 times)

PaulProe

• View Profile
Cobra Headers/side pipes
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:31:33 PM »
I am looking to build a new set of headers for my FE equipped cobra replica. Have a question about style and construction. I am familiar with the typical one-piece header flange and four welded tubes going to the side pipe slip tube joint. Works fine but can be a real bear to get all four tubes to line up and assemble easily.

I have seen another style that uses four individual head flanges, each tube is then separate from one another. Each tube is equipped with a connector strap/bolt to keep the slip joint together. The head flange uses the two bolts at the exhaust outlet to mount that flange.

I personally, have never used the second 'four tube' style and curious if others have any input as to the pros/cons of this style. I believe this is the way that ERA builds the headers for their replicas

looking for any comments

Thanks

Paul

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
Re: Cobra Headers/side pipes
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 11:54:28 PM »
 Slip fit tubes generally leak unless you fabricate a precision way to seat them together. A few times I've made up couplers some what like the butt joint connectors that keep your weld from pentraiting the inside of your tubes. I haven't used those in a bit but we often bought them from Jerry Bickel Race Cars in the past. Otherwise any time it's feasible I'd recommend a flange and a gasket.

As for construction my method on similar builds is to decide where the flange will be and fixture it in place. Then fit each primary tube long through the flange from the head until you have what you like. I then do the same for the collector side again leaving the tubes a touch long. Generally I weld up the header sections and then final fit the collector or side pipe. Every weld shrinks no matter how cold or quick you can run it. By doing the header first due to multiple joints you can more easily compensate for any loss with the extra left on the collector side. Slip fits really don't change that process much they just allow single tubes to be installed or removed in cases where space is an issue. Any time you can avoid using them the better off you'll be.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 06:17:34 AM »
I built my own for my Cobra. 

I welded a flange on each header and each side pipe and made some cross pieces to go in between all 4 tubes so it would seal up.  Gaskets are available.  Then you can just bolt them together.

That setup is a whole lot easier to get together than the style that slips up inside. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

PaulProe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 08:22:59 AM »
My concern isn't the slip fit joint but the flange (head) side. I am familiar with the style that uses one common flange for the head. But this version uses four individual flanges on the head, making four individual tubes. 

Would be considerably easier to align the slip joints.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »
My headers had a common head flange. 

It may make it easier with 4 separate pipes, but IMO the sidepipe end will still fight you.  It's very aggravating to have to get out the mallet to drive them off, especially when they're coated/painted.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports