Author Topic: Medium riser 4v  (Read 3038 times)

mmason

• View Profile
Medium riser 4v
« on: May 02, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »
Jay I am reading your book and it is very good and timely sense I have my engine torn down and making some changes to it. I have a number of questions I would like to ask but I think I will just ask one for now.
When I first got my 65 CO 427 it came with what I thought was a Med Riser manifold but there no markings to prove it, So when I saw the picture in your book of it I dug mine out for comparison. It looks the same but there are some things that are differant.
  The date marking of 12-64 above the thermostat housing
  Fewer vacuum bosses
  No bosses for a throttle linkage
The ports had not been touched and I was surprised as to how restricted some of them were. I did some gasket matching but was not to aggressive. I am going to try to send some photos so tell me what you think

Michael Mason

Michael Mason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Medium riser 4v
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »
That is a very interesting manifold, Mike.  I think that you are correct that it is a medium riser intake, but I've never seen one without the throttle linkage bosses cast in before.  Just guessing here, but maybe the early '65 cars used some throttle linkage arrangement that bolted to the firewall or the carb studs, and didn't require a physical connection to the manifold.  Perhaps later the throttle linkage was revised to bolt to the intake, and the bosses were added.  Items like the throttle linkage bosses and vacuum fitting bosses can be added to the manifold pattern without a lot of trouble, so its not that unusual to see some variations in these, especially on the factory performance intakes.

It's also strange that the manifold doesn't have a casting number on it, but on the other hand I've got a Sidewinder without a casting number too. 

If you wanted to measure the front and rear heights of the manifold, as shown in the drawing in the book, you could at least confirm that the carb pad height is the same as the 427MR intake I measured.  That along with the casting date and the port sizes would be pretty conclusive evidence that it is a 427 MR intake.

From a performance standpoint the manifold ought to work the same as the 427 MR intake shown in my book, which is to say it is a good manifold.  I'm glad to see you didn't port match the intake to the gaskets, because I doubt that the gaskets are a perfect match to the head ports.  Your port matching job looks just about right to me. 

Good luck with the project - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC