Author Topic: holley carbs- which ones?  (Read 2129 times)

daryl w66

• View Profile
holley carbs- which ones?
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:44:48 PM »
Hello. I posted earlier about the carb troubles i am having on my 482-#660 on 482.I have looked at carls ford parts site and it shows  2 sets-bj-bk-600 cfm and bc-bd-715 cfm.since this car will only see street driving, im thinking the 2-600 should be what i should be thinking to put on my motor. is there something different design wise on the bj-bk to fit on tunnel wedge in my 66 fairlane? I live in canada,so i want to know if i can just go buy 2 600 holleys from a parts store up here. is there something different from reg. store bought 600 vac. sec. and the bj-bks from carls ford parts?I will also run a fuel return line as suggested on my earlier post.I want my car to start up everytime no troubles.also any help on running a fuel return line.can i put another fitting in my stock gas tank to accept the return line or do i have to buy a fuel cell to make this work.? and any pics. and info on new fuel-log and regulator with return line?Thanks for all your help.

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: holley carbs- which ones?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 01:47:04 PM »
Carl put up the money with Holley to get the old carburetors remade , metering block calibration is sweet with Carls carbs just like what the Factory used back in the day , real correct looking and sweet working Carbs  .... and yes holley 1850 Holley's can be made to work too

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »
From info people like Drew have posted in the past, the original equipment Holley BK/BJ carbs ( from '63-'67 ) are calibrated a little different from the generic Holley 600's, and the original BK/BJ's work really well. My understanding from what people have posted who have examined the reproduction BK/BJ's they are maybe not calibrated quite the same as the originals. The reproduction BK/BJ's are good for people that need the "look" of the original carbs, but if you don't need to have the correct #'s you may want to look at some generic 600's to save some money. If Drew P. see's this post hopefully he can elaborate on the differences. You might be able to dublicate the original BK/BJ calibration yourself, or you could check with him on setting up some carbs for you, since he does it as a side business.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 01:53:42 PM »
Can't offer much technical assistance on the carbs, but as for the return line?   Have a bung welded in the upper portion of the tank somewhere so you can put a fitting for the fuel line(steel or alum).

Many years back that is what I did with my wagon tank.  I used the stock pickup, then had a 1/2" pipe bung welded up to the side of sending unit for return line.   The sending unit on my tank was in the front wall of the tank.  Yours may be different.  I would suggest it needs to be at the highest point.  The wagon was not an issue because I only ran it at 1/2 tank or less back then.

I do run generic 600's on my 462.  We did not change anything on fuel inside.  Just lighter secondary springs and bigger squirters.  For a race car, they work fine.  I don't think streetability is an issue, though never get to try.
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »
I make it a practice not to weld on gas tanks unless they are new and unused.  A bulkhead fitting will do the job, also quality 2 part epoxy will attach a fitting that won't come out.  Just my personal take on it, having done it more than once.  The fitting needs to be located away from the pickup area to prevent the electric pump from sucking in aerated fuel.  I put the ones I did on top in a forward corner.  -8 AN up and back should be more than sufficient for everything up to some big power. 

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 09:16:04 AM »
I bought regular 600s (1850s) and they worked great I did have to jet them up a little
but other than that they did very good by me. Eventually I will be sending them to Drew to play around with after I go to Pinks all out live. I do have the QF 750s that I had a little trouble with, but
It was my fault. I’m gonna hold on to the 600s till I get back. That being said the 600s right out of the box on my 486 did well.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »
Off the shelf 600's do ok on a 2x4 setup.

There are some things you can do to make them work better.... you have to remember the signal is now split, so the carbs aren't acting perfectly normal like they would in a 4v setup.
My biggest issue with "off the shelf" brand new carbs is that many of the low buck options are shoddily built.  Often set with an idle too lean for a performance car, and often misdrilled holes or variability in the calibration.
Not always an issue, but sometimes it is :P
This isn't a problem with older built units, where quality was obviously more important.
1850-2's are cheap and easy to find, if you find some that look good, that would be a decent way to go, just rebuild them and slap them on.

I don't want to seem like I'm advertising, but the real benefit of dropping me a line is that I change some things in the calibration, but more importantly I can test them out and get a really decent baseline tune for you so you aren't trying to get them set right on a brand new engine.

If you are willing to spend a few hundred dollars on drills, taps, set screws, etc I'd be happy to walk you through getting the carbs set for your application, but if you are running a SFT cam and a new engine that can be a real butt clencher as 2x4's setups can be real touchy if anything is off just a little bit.

Good luck,
Dp

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
From info people like Drew have posted in the past, the original equipment Holley BK/BJ carbs ( from '63-'67 ) are calibrated a little different from the generic Holley 600's, and the original BK/BJ's work really well.

I haven't had a reproduction set in my hands, so I can't comment on that....
The main issue I'm starting to see with the originals is the secondary metering plate seems to be different from the early (63-64) batch vs the later Shelby carbs.  I'll elaborate more in the future as I've got about four sets (two early ones and two later sets) in process.