Author Topic: Electric fuel pump idientification  (Read 1733 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Electric fuel pump idientification
« on: July 21, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »
I have a nice electric fuel pump that came with my EFI for the Mustang, I assume it's a Mallory EFI pump, likely a 29257, but the numbers don't match up and it has an on fitting on bottom.

Do any of your guys recognize the number, or know if the blue fitting would be a return coming from the fuel rails or a relief to bleed back to the tank?  Sending fuel from the georotr back to the tank seems like an odd thing to do, but not sure you could use it as a return from the injectors either.

The reason I am asking is I want to see if an FITech can control this pump using it's voltage control.  I elected to use dual in-tank pumps in my Mustang, but an external pump will be significantly easier in the F100

I think this is a decent pump and not cheap, and I know it's made for EFI, the odd return fitting and part number has me stumped though.  Any ideas?

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Electric fuel pump idientification
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:38:39 AM »
Got some info from Chris Richards at Mass-flo, the pump is an old Mallory 5110FI, not a cheap pump, going to see if the FITech will be happy controlling it, and if so, hang it off the frame on the F100

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-5110fi/overview/

Sort of back to the future, used to run a NOISY Holley blue pump under the cab, you couldn't hear it inside, but people always used to ask me what it was making the noise. My guess this thing is significantly quieter
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
FYI, the fuel pump control on an FITech manages pulse width (PW) to maintain pressure without having to run a return.

Although that would be very convenient for me, it is not compatible with a big pump like the Mallory, and although I prefer in-tank pumps, I do not think an in tank pump would be enjoyable in my in-cab tank

All that is needed per FITech is to use their internal pressure regulator with a return and leave the pump at 12V switched like all the other systems, so good for me.
Ross

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 11:36:24 AM »
Ross, 

How do you plan on running a return line to the in-cab tank? I ask since this has been my hang up on converting to TBI FI on my old Highboy.  I definitely would like to see some detail on how you do it.

Options for moving the tank out of the cab are not very prevalent on my style frame.  I think you have options on yours since it is a half ton, assuming you would want to get it out of the cab.  I  seriously considered having a custom in-bed tank made but I would like for the fuel gauge to be accurate...have not "educated" myself enough to figure a way around that with an aftermarket sending unit trying to talk to the old factory gauge.

Anyway, I am curious as to how you do it, and your thoughts on the FI Tech once you get it up and running.  It will be a while for me since I am still working on the C6. It's all apart, now to clean, clean, clean, and order parts.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 11:47:13 AM »
My game plan is to drill a hole near the sending unit, put a pass through bulkhead fitting and basically copy the stock line as it goes down the side of the tank.  I wish there was a way to more easily get to a bigger sized line as a feed, I have to think about it a bit for more options.  Depends how easily I can work through the sending unit hole.  I have also considered two bulkhead fittings, with one having a standpipe that reaches to the bottom of the tank.

I don't want to move the tank, it does fine where it is and allows me lots of room for exhaust
Ross

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »
Ross,

Certainly it is the same tank in the 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons. I like the tank being inside, about as much as I dislike it.  Try having a divorced transfer case to deal with added to the mix! Good luck and let us know what you end up doing/how you like the set-up!  Maybe by then I will have mine back together and some pics to share on the forum....definitely plan on posting a recap on the C6 rebuild for those that ever tear into the short version. Few differences vs. a standard C6 that may help some folks some day.