Author Topic: Need tips for repairing stripped hole in intake.  (Read 1546 times)

aj

• View Profile
Need tips for repairing stripped hole in intake.
« on: July 17, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »
I plan to use a Big-Sert kit in an attempt to repair the stripped hole shown in the photo of a cast iron CJ intake.   The hole was previously stripped and then drilled off center and a make shift stud inserted.

My concern is that the thread insert will not have full contact with the entire circumference of the new hole/threads.  See red circle on the photo.

I'm wondering if I should fill the hole solid with JB weld before drilling/tapping for the insert.  My guess is the Big Sert may work without JB weld since it's a relatively low torque fastener and the insert will be grabbing the threads of about 70-80% of the total circumference of the hole 

Wanting to hear opinions from others that have repaired similar stripped threads in cast iron intake. 

Adrian

Adrian Jacobs
Weatherford, TX
1970 Shelby GT500 
1970 Boss 302

Thumperbird

• View Profile
Re: Need tips for repairing stripped hole in intake.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
By the time you remove more material to install an insert I would just plug it and redo if you want the most robust and cleanest solution.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »
When i repair a hole like that i drill the size to get a round hole
then i thread and put a bolt in the hole with some locktite cut it
of, file flat and drill a new hole the right size in the right place

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 08:25:26 PM »
I have good success with cast iron pipe plugs. Drill, tap, install plug w/loctite, file flush and relocate original hole. Mark location, center drill, tap drill, tap... For that particular job I would probably make a drill fixture.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 11:31:57 AM »
That is a valve cover hole, so no real torque to speak of.  It does not look that far off center based on your drawing. Could you not get a helicoil that would drop in, assuming the hole is captured and still has some thread in the bottom?  Valve covers have some play in them and that would be quick and painless.

Unless this is for show or a customer, I do not see the value in the extra effort of drilling, plugging, re-drilling and tapping if a more simple solution would suffice.  JB weld like you said would likely work as you stated.  Just depends on how much time and energy you want to spend and the end purpose.

Don't get me wrong, plugging and re-doing the hole would be the "proper" way.  Good luck.