Author Topic: High port TF FE heads?--pondering  (Read 6025 times)

MeanGene

• View Profile
Re: High port TF FE heads?--pondering
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 07:11:23 AM »
I have always wondered why my Dove hi risers were filled at the top, story was it was done on purpose by one of the "bigs", flowed 385, made 785 hp on a 505, and ran high 9's in a Comet. They are cut for T&D's, and came with special head studs for them, and the material left after the T&D cut is very thin, with epoxy fill below, seeming to lower the roof- doesn't make sense to me, other than trying to get a gasket seal, but I would think one could seal it up against the T&D plate at the top? I recently picked up a set of T&Ds but haven't had time to set the plates on the heads for a looksee. Haven't looked at them in a while, maybe they need to go visit the Capt for a looksee/ rethink. They were run on methanol, and looks like the "right" dumdum for meth was not used, as some has eroded anyway. Plan was to run them with my 2-5/8 Kinsler 351C sprint car injectors with a custom-fit Jay-plate when the ports are finished

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 09:44:24 PM »
I need to amend a statement I made on the rocker pad height on the TFS heads.  That pad is .300 taller than the valve cover rail.  The advantage I see is a deeper root for the helicoils.  The disadvantage is that for conventionally mounted rockers, one should mill the stands, or shim about .200 under a High Riser stand to get geometry in the right vicinity.  The valves are 5.500, so the standard height stands aren't going to net a good geometry without putting the shaft centerline around +/- .050 from OEM.

I get the "why" if they ever make a raised port, but the valve cover is the height limiter in the manifold without reworking it into a High Riser.  They are taller than a BT Medium Riser, but can't take advantage of that without addressing the valve cover.  I move the rail on "high port" Edelbrocks, so it is doable.  A person could also mill the pad a little, tap and insert the pad, and use T&D for a BT head.  Any way you go, something has to be done.  Not sure why they built a head like this unless they plan to offer stands made for it later.......
Blair Patrick

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 06:07:51 AM »
I have not yet held a TFS head in my hands.  Are you saying that they are using a valve that is 5.500 and a rocker pad that high on their production part?  Seems counterintuitive to do that.  I can see raising the pad a little (especially if they had been reading the rocker geometry thread here) but increasing the valve tip height negates most of the benefit there.  Like your observation - only gain would be more thread engagement on the rocker helicoil???

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 06:53:13 AM »
3.940" from deck surface to intake side of rocker stand pad.

I have 2 sets here:  one will get a set of T&D streets, the other gets a set of non-adjustables with end stands.

I have mocked up the non-adjustable set to set rocker arm lateral position, but haven't got to the point where I have looked at geometry yet.  Here are some preliminary pictures:

With .080" lash cap:

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 11:45:35 AM »
I'd bet you will be closer to right with the lash cap, but I hate to add another "something to fail" unless there is no choice.  The first pic shows the rocker almost 90° to the valve stem, in the closed position.  That will probably get ugly at .600 lift.  I'll be milling the stands on two I have here.  A non-adj and a BP bushed single shaft T&D.......
Blair Patrick

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
Agreed....

I'm gonna wait until I can get the heads on the block and take a closer look at things, but I agree, something's gonna have to change.

Normally, a non-adj rocker is sitting on the intake side of the valve stem.  Quite a bit of difference with these heads.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »
I usually end up with about .100 shim with the non-adjustable OE rockers.  On the one I have here, it looks like I will mill somewhere between .180 and .200 off the rocker stands and use no shims.  ARP makes all kinds of studs with different thread lengths.  I will use a 1" thread length on the bottom to get more engagement.
Blair Patrick