Author Topic: Independence Day  (Read 1805 times)

FElony

Independence Day
« on: July 04, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »
Today we celebrate telling jolly old England to bugger off, thus avoiding our cars a couple centuries later having wiring by Lucas. That's a cause for celebration! Drink up!

FERoadster

• View Profile
Re: Independence Day
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »
South of the boarder has the best straight drink IMO ---- Tequila

But on a second consideration so does Ireland --- Hard to decide which.

Richard

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:39:28 AM »
Today we celebrate telling jolly old England to bugger off, thus avoiding our cars a couple centuries later having wiring by Lucas. That's a cause for celebration! Drink up!

Lucas wiring of yore: if the car even saw one dark cloud, it wouldn't start! 

That and the use of non-detergent oils in old Triumphs and Healys. The insides of these crud-clogged, dirty engines was amazing!
Bob Maag

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »
Drink up indeed! I've got a David Brown tractor with a Lucas charging system. The guy just gave it to me. For free! It took me months to get it all working again. Had to wait on the queens Royal Mail Service for parts. About the closest thing to a hemorrhoid transplant that I've ever experienced. 
Kevin McCullah

FElony

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
South of the boarder has the best straight drink IMO ---- Tequila

But on a second consideration so does Ireland --- Hard to decide which.

Richard

I avoid Tequila and Southern Comfort like the plague because of bad experiences as a youth. I am globally famous (<--- blatant lie) for changing up drinks because I get bored with the same old thing. Probably the same mental malfunction that makes me buy too many cars. This time around it's Malibu Rum "Black" on the rocks with some of that Pineapple Coconut fizzy water thrown in. Tasty!

FElony

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 02:43:27 PM »
Drink up indeed! I've got a David Brown tractor with a Lucas charging system. The guy just gave it to me. For free! It took me months to get it all working again. Had to wait on the queens Royal Mail Service for parts. About the closest thing to a hemorrhoid transplant that I've ever experienced.

You poor soul. Or, glutton for punishment. The guy that gave it to you is probably still laughing his ass off. Perhaps you should show your thanks by running him over with a disc harrow*.

*I have just exhausted my entire farm implement vocabulary.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 03:13:23 PM »
When i was a kid we had a -62 BMC Diesel 42 hp a real rocket :o.
Black with red leather interior and valnut dash.
My father said that the best part of the car was the interior :D

But i must say the wire harness is the best one i have ever seen
the wire insulation is first a layer of plastic like a normal modern wire
then there is a layer of lacquered cloth like an old wire.
all the connections is with rubber seals. I guess its a little damp in old
Britain. The electric components on the other hand.....well

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 08:48:59 AM »
While at school in Indiana, I helped with the maintenance of a room mate's MGA and a friend's Jag XK 120. And I was dumb enough, several years later, to buy a collection of parts that could be assembled into an Austin-Healey that I put together as a 100-6 Roadster. I drove it for daily transportation for a year. I became VERY familiar with Lucas components! :o :(

KS

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 01:01:31 PM »

I drove a David Brown one time to pull out my own tractor that got stuck
The pedal to lock the differential was on the same side as the clutch pedal ???
After you let go of the clutch you could not lock the diff ??? they got two left
feet in Britain?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it