Author Topic: Ceramic or semi-metallic pads ??  (Read 1931 times)

winr1

Ceramic or semi-metallic pads ??
« on: July 02, 2018, 12:01:37 AM »
Went to mu regular parts guy an says I want American rotors an ceramic pads for my 2009 F150

Put them an as I was lowerin mu truck, I spy in tiny letters on one side of a rotor box ( made in chine )

Fark !! ... oh well, broke them in easy an then a little harder... stopped well for several hundred miles ... then ...

Brakin, shaky steerin wheel an vibes from drivers front tire

Rotor is smeared lookin an appears to be grabbin the pads or such

The pass. rotor is not grabby but is not totally flat lookin any more

The rear rotors look great

Rock Auto has Centrick rotors with G3000 metallurgy, read on more than a few sites, G3000 metallurgy was good

What say yee guys ??

Ricky.

FElony

Re: Ceramic or semi-metallic pads ??
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 09:59:24 AM »
Went to mu regular parts guy an says I want American rotors an ceramic pads for my 2009 F150

Put them an as I was lowering my truck, I spy in tiny letters on one side of a rotor box ( made in chine )

Fark !! ... oh well, broke them in easy an then a little harder... stopped well for several hundred miles ... then ...

Rock Auto has Centrick rotors with G3000 metallurgy, read on more than a few sites, G3000 metallurgy was good

What say yee guys ??

Ricky.

My DD is a 2005 F150. I got it with 99k on it, and the China front rotors that were on it didn't take but a little while to start warping. With a discount through a friend, I bought genuine Ford rotors from the dealer. Big difference in weight between the two. The rears were still OK (just changed the pads). The trick here was the Hawk LTS pads I got from Summit. Holy Moley. This truck will outstop almost every car I've ever owned. Very badass. Fresh fluid bleed, of course.

30k later and it still stops the same. I just bought some Hawks for the Crown Vic. Check 'em out.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:14:28 PM by FElony »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 12:10:36 PM »
Gotta agree on the Hawk pads.  Put them on the front of the wagon years back.  WOW....does it stop nice.  Much better then the old std pads for a '77 Tbird front end.   No warpage, nothing after nearly 10 yrs.  Wish I could say the same for my '95 F150.  I get maybe a year til I make a couple quick stops and they warp to hell and shake like a bitch with stock chinese parts.  Ugh.  The wagon stops from 120 mph without a whimper.  WTH?
Larry

winr1

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
Cool, thanks guys !!

Ricky.

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 03:50:34 AM »
This thread was timed for me .It was time for me to change the pads on my 2011 F150 .I went with those Hawk pads and couldn't be any happier .They do work good !Doug

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
Lots of experience in changing rotors and pads here.
X2 on what FElony said. If at all possible, go with factory rotors. If you DO buy aftermarket (and they will all be China), then either have them turned before installing, or drive them a year then take them off and have them turned. You'll be ok then, at least in my experience.

I wouldn't touch a ceramic pad unless I was road racing or had a 200 mph supercar. They're noisy and need lots of heat. I just use mid-grade semi-metallic pads and never had a problem after hundreds of brake jobs at work, and they stop my Mach perfectly fine at 115 mph. Cheap organics will fade and produce lots of dust. Although the trade-off with any better pad is increased rotor wear. Something has to give.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 05:45:42 PM »

Put them an as I was lowerin mu truck, I spy in tiny letters on one side of a rotor box ( made in chine )

What say yee guys ??

Ricky.

Are you aware there is a inner and outer brake pad on front? One in wrong spot will cause all kinds of grief