Author Topic: In depth street/strip tune articles on 427 back in the 60's?  (Read 1777 times)

427LX

• View Profile
I may have missed a few of the car magazines during the 1965-67 time period but were there any good drag test or street/strip tune articles on Ford's FE 427/425 engines?
Only thing I have was a test on the new 1966 427 Fairlane but was just an overview rather than a drag and tune session.
Until the 428 CJ came out in mid 1968 you didn't see much test and tune in print.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: In depth street/strip tune articles on 427 back in the 60's?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:51:59 AM »
Werby, if anyone, would know and actually have access to most if not all the articles on old Ford performance car tests.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:29:56 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »
Now that you mention it, I don't have much, which is kinda unusual in comparison to Brand X.
It's like I ramble on about in the recent  "66-68-1/2" thread - Ford "just didn't get it" on street action until 1968-1/2.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=6121.0;all

Even early on, 1963-64, there's the excellent development on the Factory Galaxies:

http://www.jerryhammes.com/view/4/20

Tons of stuff in there about Brannan's testing, changes, "ram air", etc. But not much written up for the average street-going steel Galaxie.

Probably the other best reference I find is Bobby Spears on Fordfe.com, over the years, if you put all his posts together from the 64 LWG and then the Fairlane he raced, its probably the best "test & tune" history of the 427 ever written down from back in the day.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:16:31 PM by WerbyFord »

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 09:53:18 PM »
There was a great article that I read over and over on a drag racer who had a 427 with a 428 crank. The article was much more informative than the usual magazine articles, it covered his testing of different factory heads and intake manifolds and had a bunch of speed secrets in it. I don't have the article anymore and I'm not even sure which magazine it was in. Maybe Popular Hot Rodding and probably in the early to mid 80's. It was about the only serious Ford article I recall seeing back then. FE articles have always been fairly rare, even in the old Ford magazines.

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:17:16 PM »
There was a great article that I read over and over on a drag racer who had a 427 with a 428 crank. The article was much more informative than the usual magazine articles, it covered his testing of different factory heads and intake manifolds and had a bunch of speed secrets in it. I don't have the article anymore and I'm not even sure which magazine it was in. Maybe Popular Hot Rodding and probably in the early to mid 80's. It was about the only serious Ford article I recall seeing back then. FE articles have always been fairly rare, even in the old Ford magazines.

Is this it? 1978 Engine Annual (by Popular Hot Rodding)
2880 lb Shelby, 427 running 10.20 with HiRiser heads and HiRiser dual plane 8v intake.
They said the (Manning-Brady) HiRiser heads were 0.3 sec better than MedRiser heads, which is probably about 60hp better at this level.
They also said the HiRiser combo outran the TunnelPort combo they tried. The HR had better midrange than the TP.
A HiRiser T-Wedge built by Dave Adams took the car to
9.93 at 138.09 mph
That's movin out for 1978!!

They were building a bigger motor with a 428 crank etc.
This is one of the few "427 hop up" articles I remember as well. Still have it.