Author Topic: Distributor bore busing for FT block  (Read 1885 times)

EricDS

• View Profile
Distributor bore busing for FT block
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »
Right now I have a FT block in my 64 Monterrey.  Larger distributor bore diameter and the 5/16" hex oil pump shaft.  I read that the FT blocks can have a busing pressed in to reduce the size down to the standard FE bore so you can run standard FE distributors.

I may pull the motor over the winter to replace the cam and intake and generally clean up the engine and the engine bay.  But I did not plan on taking the rotating assembly apart.  I'd like to put in the distributor bushing in so I have more distributor options.  Basically the only FT distributors are both HEI based.  Which is what i have not and I'm not a fan

Does the busing need to be honed to size after its pressed in?  Honing it to size is not really something you want to do on a assembled short block (I wouldn't think)
1964 Monterey Marauder

mike7570

Re: Distributor bore busing for FT block
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »
I have a spare bushing you can have, PM me your address if you want it.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:54:19 PM »
I don't believe they need to be honed to size, pretty sure you just press them in and go.  You could measure the clearance between and FE distributor shaft and the ID of the bushing, subtract a couple thousandths for the press fit, and assuming you still have a few thousandths clearance you should be good to go.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:12:27 PM »
I just put a bushing in my D4TE block and it HAD to be honed. When I got it, I could slide the bushing over the end of the distributor shaft. Once I pressed it into the block, it shrunk the i.d. enough that the shaft would not start. No big deal for me since it was a bare block getting machined anyway, I just had it honed. I got mine from Doug at POP.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:50:09 PM »
I converted several truck engines to use a (recurved) car distributor by just making a steel bushing to press on to the distributor shaft, with a drop of Loctite for good luck!
Finish at .002" smaller than the hole in the block.

I don't remember the oem bushing for the block having to be "fitted" after installation. The clearances are normal and predictable, simple addition and subtraction for the "fit".
It's a simple lathe job, but has to have an oil feed hole.

EricDS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 05:38:09 AM »
Thanks everyone. I did think about having a sleeve made up to fit around the smaller distributor shaft.  I actually made a print for the sleeve and had it quoted by a machine shop.  I still might go that route.

Mike stepped up and offered to send me a free bushing they had laying around. The more I think about it if the ID is too tight after I press it in, I can probably push it back out and have it opened up a bit.  Takes a few more steps but should be fine.  Like you guys said above, I just need to do the math and figure out what needs to happen

Thanks guys
1964 Monterey Marauder

EricDS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »
Huge thanks to Mike!  I wasn't expecting to see a true Ford bushing with the Ford logo.  I was expecting to see a machine shop part that someone whipped up.  The factory part is a spring / split hollow dowel with the oil hole in the side.  A nice piece for sure!  :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 01:07:54 PM by EricDS »
1964 Monterey Marauder