Author Topic: Ever See A Lincoln Camper?  (Read 2893 times)

chris401

FElony

Re: Ever See A Lincoln Camper?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 11:02:10 PM »
If you could put enough grunt under the hood, this would have to make the bitchinest dragstrip tow vehicle that ever was. How far is Waco from Phoenix? Gee whiz, what kind of transport to ship that puppy?

chris401

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:51:18 AM »
If you could put enough grunt under the hood, this would have to make the bitchinest dragstrip tow vehicle that ever was. How far is Waco from Phoenix? Gee whiz, what kind of transport to ship that puppy?
It is up the road from me in Garland (Dallas). Someone needs to get that thing before he "guts it and hangs drywall". Too unique and ugly to be anything other than a restoration. It is only a 3 to 4 day round trip from you.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
Do what?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 10:32:55 AM »
Probably a bit of a change for the guys as it came down the assembly line!

KS

FElony

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »
It is up the road from me in Garland (Dallas). Someone needs to get that thing before he "guts it and hangs drywall". Too unique and ugly to be anything other than a restoration. It is only a 3 to 4 day round trip from you.

About a thousand miles one way, according to Giggle. Distance aside, that behemoth would dwarf my car trailer and kill my truck's engine in a flash. Hence my comment about a transport method.

FElony

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »
That Lincoln is ginchy and all, but I already have my dragstrip tow vehicle. And it's not truck. It's an SUV. Just like this one, but a different color:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5nUnB9Rb88

TomP

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 12:38:46 PM »
Never saw a Lincoln but a local wrecking yard used to have several Caddy campers like that in the 90's. All late 50's and early 60's style. Loss of the tailfins was only slightly recovered by the camper coolness. They also had Caddy, Buick and Olds that had campers sitting in the trunk opening that went all the way over the roof to the windshields. Most were 4 doors. I think there were ten of these by the time they cleared the yard out. Should have brought a camera.

chris401

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 01:50:49 PM »
That Lincoln is ginchy and all, but I already have my dragstrip tow vehicle. And it's not truck. It's an SUV. Just like this one, but a different color:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5nUnB9Rb88
I think that Mercury is a lot better looking.

chris401

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 09:00:37 AM »
Probably a bit of a change for the guys as it came down the assembly line!

KS
I read the Edsels were thrown in with the Ford assembly line and caused a lot confusion and quality issues.. That camper would really thrown them off pace if it had happened.

Seems like that guy does not know much about the car or RVs. Drywall would add a lot of weight and crack on all the joints and work loose around the nails/screws.

chris401

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »

About a thousand miles one way, according to Giggle. Distance aside, that behemoth would dwarf my car trailer and kill my truck's engine in a flash. Hence my comment about a transport method.
I am not hauling any thing soon but would if I had the a trailer and the back to take such a trip.

TomP

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »
Pretty sure it didn't get the camper on the assembly line, more likely an ambulance builder or even Dearborn Steel Tube... they used that to prototype Thunderbolts.  :P

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 11:47:09 AM »
Yup, there was an early 50's Caddy camper locally for many, many years.  Just sat in front of this house.  Never saw it move, then it was gone.  Gold/white.
Larry

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »
Looks like getting in and out of that thing would be a skill.  The lower edge of that camper shell doesn't look too user-skull-friendly.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick