Author Topic: QuickTime FE to AOD Bell  (Read 5378 times)

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: QuickTime FE to AOD Bell
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »
Retail on them is like over $900.  I can help you guys out a little, but maybe if you'd get away from those sissy-sticks.........................................

That should put some splinters in FElony's stick.   8)  Them adapter bells are big bucks, but work really well.

>After they were bought out by Holley, it's hard to get any kind of useful information out of them.   It's actually horrible.
Heard that about several of the companies that are now under that same roof.  Lived in corporate Big World for a while.  Lots of formerly independent units forced into the same house can make for an easy train wreck.

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 12:59:51 PM »
Frozenmerc
 Did the AOD fit the 62 without cutting the floor?

Yes.  Well Sort Of.....

What I mean by that is, my '62 had sat in a tree row along the north side of a North-Western Minnesota field since 1975.  When I pulled it out in 2006, that alkali soil had done a number on the floor,  I ended up replacing the bottom 8 inches or so of the car (floor, rockers, quarters, etc....)  The AOD fit the new floor I fabricated, how close was that new floor to the original, I can't say.  However, I did use reproduction Galaxie front floor pans and tunnel.  The trans crossmember did require modification.  The mount needed to be pushed rearward about 4 inches for the AOD.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:05:51 PM by FrozenMerc »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 01:16:33 PM »
 :o Ouch that's worse than a Swedish car ;D.  My Galaxie
Came to Sweden in may -81 so almost rust free. Pass rear
quarter had a bad repair the size of a stamp. So i don't want
to cut in my virgin floor.
But if you used a repro tunnel and it fits without cutting it
probably will fit a factory tunnel. Is it close somewhere?
 I suppose 62 is the same as 64

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »
Since I used the original Cruis-O-matic bellhousing adapted to the AOD pump, it is very similar in size to the original Cruis-O, just a bit longer in the tail section.  I don't know how the Quicktime bell compares to a Cruis-O bell, my guess is they are similar, I never had both out of the cars at the same time to compare.  I used the Quicktime bell in my '76 F-250, and there was all kinds of room in that thing.

My buddy put an AOD behind the 428 in his '64 Marauder.  He used the Bendsten's adaptor plate which is 1 1/2" thick and pushes the entire trans back that much.  His bell was very tight to the firewall, and I think he even cheated the motor forward a bit on the mounts.  Headers were an even bigger problem with the Bendsten's Adaptor, much cutting and massaging was required there. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:52:33 PM by FrozenMerc »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 03:00:08 PM »
If i do it i convert it my self with a C-O-M bellhousing
Its tight enough stock i don't understand why
They made the tunnel so small on the Fullsize
TKO 600 you have to cut ,,,I think a toploader with
Gearvendors OD you have to cut

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it