Author Topic: FE Intake trimming  (Read 2142 times)

Cyclone03

• View Profile
FE Intake trimming
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:23:12 PM »
I have an RPM intake that I have been running for several years. I did not trim or fit it and the valve cover gap has always leaked.
So being the engine is out anyway (broken cam ) I had the block zero decked as well as a fresh valve job and bearings. The new Hyd roller required new springs etc... might as well's right?

So the heads are bolted down and I set the intake in place. Bent the head gaskets  down to clear.

I centered it up with the distributor and got pretty much the same fit I had before using the old crushed gaskets.
I then dry fit it with no gaskets,the right side sits .060" below the head valve cover deck,the left side is dead flush.
With the gaskets installed the right is so close I dont want to mess with it. The left side looks to need a .060" cut.
The china walls are within .010 of being the same all around.

Bolt hole fit matches what would be expected,right side being low with no gasket is a drag fit,left side thread in no problem,add the used gaskets and the results switch.

So am I asking for trouble having .060" cut from only one side of the intake?

Im open to any suggestions or tips. 
Lance H

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
Re: FE Intake trimming
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
A bit interested in this also as I have a rebuild coming up. My question though was going to be cut the heads or cut the intake?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 04:54:35 AM »
I've had to cut one valve cover rail many times.  If that's what it takes to make it perfect, nothing wrong with it. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

scott foxwell

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »
What Brent said. The distributor basically dictates where the intake is going. I had to run two different thickness gaskets on one Performer RPM I had. I didn't feel like setting up and milling one intake flange when I could buy the gaskets form Cometic. My 2x4 MR intake needed a trim on intake flanges and vc rails, both since I decided to use the Felpro steel shim intake gaskets. I made an alignment tool on the lathe for the intake because I didn't want to rely on the distributor's rubber gasket for centering. I could have taken another .010-.015 off my vc rails.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 07:57:43 AM »
I had one corner of the VC rail to high i used this ford
Diesel silicone to build up a "ramp and glued the gaskets to
the heads wit that no leak what so ever i used Edelbrocks VC gaskets
thats out of some feltlike material fantastic gaskets
I realy hate cork gaskets :D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 05:13:28 PM »
what about just cutting one intake/head face, not the valve cover rail?
Lance H

scott foxwell

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 06:11:35 PM »
what about just cutting one intake/head face, not the valve cover rail?
You can but that will move the distributator hole. You can also order different thickness gaskets.