Author Topic: Anyone Make/Buy Custom Alum. Fuel Cell ?  (Read 2561 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Anyone Make/Buy Custom Alum. Fuel Cell ?
« on: May 22, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
Default Anyone Make/Buy Custom Alum. Fuel Cell ?

I'm almost ready to remove my original  Lone Star Classic's 427 Cobra poly fuel tank after 10 years of sitting with around 1/4-1/3 of gas in it. The plan is to remove thr tank, empty the (I'm sure stinky) fuel and put in a tank cleaner and follow the manufactures instruction's.

But, I've always wanted to build or buy a custom aluminum fuel cell over the cheap and ugly plastic tank that came with the kit from Lone Star. And now, with my new 428 FE I have a EFI stack injection system from TWM/FAST, I would prefer a EFI fuel cell with the pump inside vs mounting it on the frame and all other system parts, rather than retro my old tank.

A fuel cell is of course, safer. A new tank is not a must, but since I'm using an EFI and need to remove thr tank for cleaning inside, this would be the time to improve my fuel system.

Please give me your thoughts, advise, your choise of tank manufacture, photo's and video.

PaulProe

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Make/Buy Custom Alum. Fuel Cell ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 07:40:35 PM »
I've done two aluminum tanks. The first one was to replace a plastic tank that came with my Hurricane Motorsports build. Went to EFI so I added an Aeromotive Stealth 340 system. Modifications to make the tank more aesthetically pleasing in the build ended up with the tank holding 12 gal. Little tight for my cruising.

2nd tank is my design, optimizing as much of the space as possible. It holds 18 gal. in the same space. I ended up with about $250 in the tank itself. Access to a AC/DC tig welder and a larger type sheet metal brake is essential. Hurricane sells their tank as a modification for the guys who have plastic tanks for earlier generations. Last I knew, they were around $350

The shot attached is my tank with the internal baffling. Once it was all welded together and leak tested, I then cut out for the level sensor and fuel pump cell.

Paul

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 08:03:03 PM »
The pic is strange to view, maybe it's my tablet ?
What kind of baffles, pump etc ?

What year Hurricane Cobra do you have and any pics ?
Fe engine ?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:08:59 PM by 427HISS »

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »
Fuel safe fuel cells.

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:24:42 PM »
Fuel safe fuel cells.
I run one, works well and safe
Woody

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 08:14:07 PM »
Describe your cells.

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »
67 Mustang. Tank has a Aluminum shell, bladder with foam, fills through stock neck with splash valve, stock pickup location, 16 gallons, fits stock location.
Woody

scott foxwell

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 09:02:45 PM »
I built stainless tanks for our Cobras.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 04:01:42 PM »

Which Cobra's ?
Bladder, foam etc ?
What was the apx cost ?
Any photo's or video's ?

Please give me details.

PaulProe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 07:47:52 PM »
The pic is strange to view, maybe it's my tablet ?
What kind of baffles, pump etc ?

What year Hurricane Cobra do you have and any pics ?
Fe engine ?
These are pictures of the tank, welded together. The previous picture showed the internal baffle. The larger hole is for an Aeromotive Stealth 340 Pump system. The smaller for the fuel level sender.

This is for a Gen II Hurricane build. It is my second build, I also have a Gen I Hurricane, FE w/ EightStack system.

Paul
(can't explain why the forum loads images in the orientation shown, it's different when you view the image)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:49:33 PM by PaulProe »

scott foxwell

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 07:13:37 AM »

Which Cobra's ?
Bladder, foam etc ?
What was the apx cost ?
Any photo's or video's ?

Please give me details.
My father and I bought Butler Cobras years ago from Ron Butler, also known as the Arntz. Butler basically swindled us. I was the fabricating end, dad was the business end. We put our heart and sole into the business for over a year but it was to no end. We finally realized it was a futile effort and what we bought was so poorly misrepresented that we just needed to cut our losses.
The tank was 16 gal. made from stainless sheet with internal baffles. It was basically a rectangle with two broken halves welded together. I don't think I have any pictures and since we did all the fab in house, the cost was just for the material. Either 16 or 18g brushed with a fill tube adapter, breather and sending unit. They were pretty simple to make if you have a shear and brake and can edge weld stainless without distorting it. That was the trick. I'll see if I can find a pic.