Author Topic: Primary Carb Front or Back?  (Read 1053 times)

Thumperbird

• View Profile
Primary Carb Front or Back?
« on: May 20, 2018, 09:03:46 PM »
Finally managed to fabricate the offset spacers required to mount Holley's on an Edelbrock Air Gap Dual Quad.
I plan on mounting carbs forward facing, do you think the primary carb should be in the back or the front?  I can go either way.
Looks to me that if I put the primary carb. in back combined with the angle of the flow, it will feed the center of the intake better but not sure what I don't know here, any input would be much appreciated.  The offset spacers are topped with a 1" 4 hole spacers as well.  Pictures attached for some reference, thanks. 

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Primary Carb Front or Back?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »
The idea is to get the primary barrels of the primary carb as close to the center of the engine as possible. This gives theoretical best distribution when cruising on only the two barrels. My own experience is that regular city street driving required getting into the second carb on acceleration from a stoplight just to keep up with traffic, but careful gas pedal modulation would make possible highway cruising at about 60 with just enough pressure from your foot that you were right up against the secondary linkage without activating it. (Depends on final drive ratio in the rear end and tire size of course.

Good luck---you're treading, to a certain extent, in relatively uncharted territory. I'll be very interested in your experiences when you have it all dialed-in.

KS