Author Topic: New oil pan for my T-Bird  (Read 2635 times)

Mario428

New oil pan for my T-Bird
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:04:30 PM »
The original pan I built for the T-Bird was too low by the time I got the car done. Was hitting too often and was beating up the pan so I decided it was time to build a new one.

I showed some pic's last fall of my parts, peices and the solid model from my Solidworks program

Wish I could say my alum welding skills were at a high level but they are not and the finished product does not look quite as good as the solid model. LOL

The pan is very wide so I can get lots of oil (8 quarts) in a low pan. I made an adapter that goes on the engine first and the pan bolts to that. Gives me a kickout area without having access holes and tubes to go thru

Pic of engine ready for pan, you can see the bolts outside of the windage tray which uses the actual block pattern

Inside of pan without and then with baffle

Pan on the engine

Drainplug is just below the bellhousing and about an inch higher than before. Have some leaks to fix, no gasket on the pan and looks like I went a little light on the silicone at the back of the pan.

Engine ran today and the filter looks good

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: New oil pan for my T-Bird
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
Pan looks great if you ask me.  Your aluminum welding skills are better than mine LOL!  I finally struck an arc on my intake today; I went to extreme lengths to get the welding right, like a new pair of TIG welding gloves that I'm gong to dedicate to aluminum only, wire brushing all the welding areas and washing with acetone twice, Scotchbriting the welding rods, etc. etc.  So far it seems to be paying off; we'll see how it looks at the end of the day...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC