Author Topic: Will FPA Tri-Y headers support 700hp?  (Read 9633 times)

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Re: Will FPA Tri-Y headers support 700hp?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 10:04:33 AM »

At this point I'm leaning toward the OEM FoMoCo 427 cast iron manifolds since my build will not look very exotic and I shouldn't have any fit or clearance issues with those.  I have found a couple pairs for sale ranging from $2000-2600, each had a busted ear.  I don't see many for sale at the moment...for those of you guys that are running these, what is considered a fair price for these guys in good shape?

Here's a long iron pair I spotted the other day. Pretty spendy but hey, no fuss, no muss.  Personally I wouldn't run them unless I was in a numbers matching scenario. 

https://www.racingjunk.com/Headers-Header-Kits/183010669/Ford-FE-427-long-tube-factory-cast-headers.html?category_id=&search=fe+ford&quickSearch=1&np_offset=2&from=search
Kevin McCullah

TomP

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »
I would go 2" or larger, the passenger side is harder to make than the drivers side, need to consider being able to get the header in and out of the car along with fit. I make the ones on my 61 wagon tri-Y with 1 7/8" from the ports into two 2 1/4" tubes into 3" collectors. The #3 and 4 tubes sweep up from the port to get the length then down with nothing hanging below the frame.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »
Now that I've settled on an engine combo, I'm starting to think about what headers would be best for my application.  I have the builder working on a 427/520 that will likely be putting out somewhere between 650 and 700hp and I'll be running a Dynamic C6.  This car will be almost entirely a weekend cruiser and it is lowered a little bit.

I have been talking with Stan and FPA about his Tri-Y headers but putting shorties on that motor goes against everything I know (which admittedly is very little in the FE world).  I wanted to go with a good set of longtubes but am worried about banging the collector on speed bumps, having to cut the inner fender well, etc.

So my question...will the FPA headers support this power level, or will I be leaving a lot on the table with shorties?  If I had $2k-ish in the budget I'd go OEM cast iron, but I'm thinking more in the $1k range before coating.

I am with others who say build your own. I like to
Buy mandrel bend kit from Stahl headers. Summit now carries them
I built these step headers with only about 3 welds per pipe INC step.
It was under 500.00 if I recall correctly.  I did the rest of system
Out of 304 stainless.  Short vid prior to ceramic coat on headers.

https://youtu.be/npZDMwMClTc

Cruisin

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 08:02:35 PM »
I have recently bought a set of Stan's FPA headers for the stroked 390/450-500hp I am building.
A top bloke to deal with and a straight hedzup guy.

Once I have it all assembled in the '58 I'll review ground clearance as well.
The alloy top end will raise the car I expect, by an inch or so.

Currently giving consideration to EFI and best route there as well...
My project will only be for street cruising and the odd strip duty.. ;)

Keen to see on where you go with yours as mine is pretty original as well.
Cheers,
Cruisin

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 06:37:08 PM »
So I got my headers built and painted inside and out with ceramic paint. I need them to be slip fit because of my steering shaft on the drivers side. With that said what would you put on the slip joint to keep if from seizing into the collector. antiseize? ultra permatex? or dry?