Author Topic: An Intriguing Idea For An Anonymous Poll.  (Read 6022 times)

chris401

An Intriguing Idea For An Anonymous Poll.
« on: May 14, 2018, 12:27:33 PM »
A while back I pulled my knuckles out of the dirt, stood upright and got involved in a discussion a friend drug us into. He brought up some self examining questions on how your possessions relate to the kind of person you are. My wife and I agreed that the answers given accurately described us, good and bad.

A recent discussion about engine size made me think of a persons outlook on life. How does engine size and vehicle type relate to the owner?

*** To be fair the poll would have to have honest answers and EXCLUDE political views, debates, name, race. ***

If anyone has the time to set this up here are a few of my ideas on questions tailored anchored adult car guys, not what we did as kids:

Size of engine on the street?
How many street cars/trucks do you own and drive?
Make year and engine size of your driver?
Social clubs like car club, facebook ect.
Carry a knife?
Carry a gun?
Social preferences: drifter, loner, or surrounded by family and friends?
Job preferences: work with others, or prefer not to hear or see anyone while working?
Drive fast, slow or speed limit?
Steer clear of trouble, start it or turn away to avoid a situation?
Is your tool box efficient, too small or bigger than what you really need?
Do you have a measure of satisfaction with what you have or could you always get more?
Ever been fast enough or too fast?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:29:11 PM by chris401 »

RJP

• View Profile
Re: An Intriguing Idea For An Anonymous Poll.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »
A while back I pulled my knuckles out of the dirt, stood upright and got involved in a discussion a friend drug us into. He brought up some self examining questions on how your possessions relate to the kind of person you are. My wife and I agreed that the answers given accurately described us, good and bad.

A recent discussion about engine size made me think of a persons outlook on life. How does engine size and vehicle type relate to the owner?

*** To be fair the poll would have to have honest answers and EXCLUDE political views, debates, name, race. ***

If anyone has the time to set this up here are a few of my ideas on questions tailored anchored adult car guys, not what we did as kids:

Carry a knife?
Carry a gun?
Job preferences: work with others, or prefer not to hear or see anyone while working?
Do you have a measure of satisfaction with what you have or could you always get more?
I think you just set it up. But why the need for "self examination"? Sounds too much like "Shrink think"

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 01:03:01 PM »
Interesting post. But answering questions like the ones you posed aren't something I'd want to share here or elsewhere.

Recently. I totally deleted my Facebook account due to the Cambridge Analytical scandal (selling to a political party) and other media since learning about how even the Russkies are using our social media against us. Having "been there' at the dawn of the computer age (met Steven Jobs at his Quonset Hut in Cally where they made Apple 1 machines by hand!) I no longer subscribe to more is better....at least on my personal info. 

Btw, little is anonymous these days, even here, as it's way too easy to track a URL back to its owner.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:05:56 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:43:43 PM »
I agree with Bob, some of the questions are a little too personal. Some of the other 'not too personal' questions are IMO ok and could be interesting fodder for discussion.  I don't do Facebook, Twitter etc. as I don't really care to post pictures of my last pizza, my last cup of coffee or what I had for dinner last night. Car, shop and tool related stuff is ok since this after all a car forum and should be safe enough to discuss without fear of over reveling one's self.

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:14:13 PM »
Chris, in your eyes what would be the goal of all of these questions and answers ?

chris401

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 03:26:58 PM »
Chris, in your eyes what would be the goal of all of these questions and answers ?
None really just passing time. Doesn't matter to me who or why a person is, just curious where the average of car guys fall in.

chris401

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »
Interesting post. But answering questions like the ones you posed aren't something I'd want to share here or elsewhere.

Recently. I totally deleted my Facebook account due to the Cambridge Analytical scandal (selling to a political party) and other media since learning about how even the Russkies are using our social media against us. Having "been there' at the dawn of the computer age (met Steven Jobs at his Quonset Hut in Cally where they made Apple 1 machines by hand!) I no longer subscribe to more is better....at least on my personal info. 

Btw, little is anonymous these days, even here, as it's way too easy to track a URL back to its owner.
Didn't think it would be valuable enough to be worth the trouble of stealing but I can see it being possible.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »
AFAIK, they (CA) only picked up user data from the mostly stupid online polls or "Who's your star buddy" type quizzes.  No play, no data.  They also picked up on shares of bait type posts, most of those from fake user pages.  I keep my FB feed clean and block any "political" (racist, etc) shares from click bait pages.  Lots of car stuff in my circle, so no problems.  And FB doesn't have any extensive demographic data because I choose not to fill out every blank.  The main downside of FB is that some of the people you regard as intelligent can re-post some of the dumbest crap.  Should I respond....no. 

xCarry a knife?  Nunya
xCarry a gun?   Same
xSocial preferences: drifter, loner, or surrounded by family and friends?  Leading Q
xJob preferences: work with others, or prefer not to hear or see anyone while working?  Leading
xSteer clear of trouble, start it or turn away to avoid a situation?  Leading
xDo you have a measure of satisfaction with what you have or could you always get more?  Car guys are pretty much never done, completely satisfied, etc.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:13:33 PM by Falcon67 »

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
I’ll give it a shot (mostly).

Size of engine on the street? I seem to be ending up with 440s
How many street cars/trucks do you own and drive? 2 and 3
Make year and engine size of your driver? 61 thru 74/390 to 440 uh Ford duh :)
Social clubs like car club, facebook ect.  no
Carry a knife? Nunya
Carry a gun? Same
Social preferences: drifter, loner, or surrounded by family and friends? Family and friends
Job preferences: work with others, or prefer not to hear or see anyone while working? I hate everyone outside of above. You are all considered friends.
Drive fast, slow or speed limit? All
Steer clear of trouble, start it or turn away to avoid a situation? Never start but sometimes finish.
Is your tool box efficient, too small or bigger than what you really need? Can never be big enough.
Do you have a measure of satisfaction with what you have or could you always get more? Satisfied but can always have more if you have room.
Ever been fast enough or too fast? Yes

That didn’t hurt to much.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 08:36:54 PM »
Size of engine on the street? too small
How many street cars/trucks do you own and drive? Too many
Make year and engine size of your driver? 1999, 3.0L
Social clubs like car club, facebook ect.  yes
Carry a knife? yes, since I was five years old
Carry a gun? Guess
Social preferences: drifter, loner, or surrounded by family and friends? both, depending
Job preferences: work with others, or prefer not to hear or see anyone while working? Alone usually
Drive fast, slow or speed limit? Too fast is not enough
Steer clear of trouble, start it or turn away to avoid a situation? situational
Is your tool box efficient, too small or bigger than what you really need? Shop, too small. Portable is fine.
Do you have a measure of satisfaction with what you have or could you always get more? I'm fine, but wouldn't mind more.
Ever been fast enough or too fast? Both

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 09:39:47 PM »
Problem for me with this sorta thing, is I generally don't care what anyone thinks about me, even less so if they have complaints.  :P

-Size of engine on the street?
I have a 390 in my truck and a 447 in my car

-How many street cars/trucks do you own and drive?
My daily driver is a 76 F100 and my car is a 63.5 Galaxie

76, 390, because that is how they made them.  If I ever rebuild it or need a replacement it'll probably be a very tame 445, just cuz.

-Social clubs like car club, facebook ect.
I'm gone 6-9 months a year, so I do facebook to keep up with people.  Otherwise it's very easy to lose touch.  Recently I've started using FB to detail my work with various engine related things.

Carry a knife?
-I go through a lot of airports, so not always at home.  At work, it's a safety issue due to the maritime environment..... not having a good flashlight and knife would be a problem.

Carry a gun?
-I don't really feel like shooting anyone.  I used to have guns around more, but I was a farmer.  I was never insecure or scared enough to require carrying a gun on my body.

-Given the option I'd rather stay in the shop and perfect whatever weirdness strikes my fancy.  Keeping in contact with a few people that share the interest is nice.

-Depends on the person.... I've worked with many that can fall into order with me, we can work seamlessly together.  If the question is "Do you want to work with annoying people."  I'd answer, "no"

-I drive like most people, the speed limit or a lil over.

-Depends on the folks I'm with.  With close friends, I'm certainly a prankster, otherwise I'd just as soon avoid most people.

-I don't own many tools, but I own very specific tools for what I do.  I put things back when I'm done using them.

-I think anyone that creates things will always strive for perfection, which I consider unattainable.

-Kinda a trick question, there is a difference between too fast, vs out of control.  I've never been too fast, but I have been out of control.

This whole line of questioning hints around a prethought out conclusion and so it feels mildly dishonest.  I would say, just ask the real damn question and lets get it over with..... but I clocked out early tonight, so what the heck, right?

TomP

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 09:57:06 PM »
Oh, so this is how we judge people by their cars now? Of course I have been doing it all wrong... just assuming that because a guy drives a Dodge/Ram 4x4 with a Cummins, 6" of lift with short tires and the towing mirrors flipped all the way out even though the hitch only holds the chrome testicles... that he's an ass.

chris401

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 10:13:00 PM »
Oh, so this is how we judge people by their cars now? Of course I have been doing it all wrong... just assuming that because a guy drives a Dodge/Ram 4x4 with a Cummins, 6" of lift with short tires and the towing mirrors flipped all the way out even though the hitch only holds the chrome testicles... that he's an ass.
Only if he is Canadian or Texan.

chris401

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 10:16:41 PM »
I was thinking of anonymous multiple choice like other polls I have seen here and on slick60's. As mentioned above not focused one person but an average.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 07:31:04 AM »
As mentioned above not focused one person but an average.

That one is easy. On average, we are all very sick and have serious mental disorders. At least that's how non car people see us.
Great answer to Tom, by the way  ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe