Author Topic: Genisis block question  (Read 2387 times)

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Genisis block question
« on: May 03, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »
Barry, Blair or Brent, how much prep had to go into the Genisis block? I know there was something about the oil feed passage, but what else had to be done to make it runnable?

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Genisis block question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »
Garry, in my case, which I think was the last batch run, the main oil passage from the pump to the adapter pad had to be sleeved due to the casting being too thin, or the drilling was off, or both. There were also two very small pinholes in the lifter valley walls, one on each side. Likely due to casting procedures. Not a big deal, but if I had tried to just run the block without pressure testing it, it would have been a short venture before the oil would have been full of water. Luckily, Blair tested the block and found them. I'd just figure all the basic machining procedures should be done, pretty much like most blocks. Square deck, bore/hone, crank saddle hone, check lifter bores etc.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 08:56:38 PM »
 Most of those I've run into had random issues such as voids/paper thin areas in the bulkheads etc.  One I was real close on buying until flipping it over where it had a 2" area of waterjacket missing and  smeared closed with JB weld. I've also read that at least early blocks were machined from both ends resulting in cases where things were not straight/difficult to fix. It may be fine but it's a case by case basis so you'll want it checked out to be on the safe side.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:07:32 PM »
Their last batch was the best ones, as far as I know. I do know that the early ones had some random issues that had to be addressed also, but not as much as the last ones. Either way, there are some REALLY stout engines out there that have been raced on a pretty regular basis for years, and they hold up pretty well. If you can get a deal on one, I'd say look it over carefully, and if it looks decent and if you can get it at a good price, then it is probably worth it even if it needs a little work. If the price isn't the greatest, or it has some obvious flaws, you'd probably be better off starting with a BBM block.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

McGaviR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 09:53:45 PM »
I hope that someone isn't trying to convince you that there are new blocks available? Genesis now fly under the banner of Sideoiler Garage. We were told in early 2017 that a batch of blocks were just being finished off. We paid for a block on the understanding it would be shipped by the end of that week. It's now over a year and unfortunately no block and next to no communication from Tim McLoughlin. Very disappointing. Its a shame that scammers are out there!

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 05:53:09 AM »
Garry, in my case, which I think was the last batch run, the main oil passage from the pump to the adapter pad had to be sleeved due to the casting being too thin, or the drilling was off, or both. There were also two very small pinholes in the lifter valley walls, one on each side. Likely due to casting procedures. Not a big deal, but if I had tried to just run the block without pressure testing it, it would have been a short venture before the oil would have been full of water. Luckily, Blair tested the block and found them. I'd just figure all the basic machining procedures should be done, pretty much like most blocks. Square deck, bore/hone, crank saddle hone, check lifter bores etc.

This is generally accurate - normal shop work and inspection common to any of the new blocks.  The oil feed to the heads needs to be connected at the deck with either an extra hole in the head gasket or a slot milled on the deck.  No matter which supplier they all need a very thorough inspection.  Low production volume means that every one is essentially a prototype in terms of casting and machining process refinement.  They all use a special cam bearing set.

The comment about availability is also accurate - they have not shipped a block for a very long time.  I am owed several blocks at this time.

scott foxwell

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 10:06:19 PM »
My machinist in CA had a customer send him a Genesis block. Only one I've seen. He sent it back after spending a couple days just trying to chase dimensions and make sense of what they sent him. He got a second block and still ended up having to machine just about every surface on the thing.