Author Topic: Which set of heads should I grab?  (Read 5850 times)

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Which set of heads should I grab?
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »
I've found a couple of 390s on craigslist and I'm going to buy one of them. I've already checked them out. One is 4.050, I think it's a 105 casting. Seems like a good starting point for a stroker. But the guy has a couple of sets of heads to choose from. Should I grab the C8AE's or the D2TE's. I'll sit and grind for hours on the best set if I can't find some suitable CJ castings. Which ones flow better? Which ones would be the better head for a set of CJ valves?
Kevin McCullah

Kerry j

• View Profile
Re: Which set of heads should I grab?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
What is the engine going to go in Kevin?

Both of those heads are a run of the mill standard head, but could make decent power with a little work and larger valves. I think the biggest concern between those two would be the exhaust port configuration and that it match your application for exhaust manifold or headers. You will want to make sure headers or manifolds are available that will fit your application and the head exhaust port.

DEANs427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 08:13:55 AM »
also consider that the D2 heads have hard exhaust seats while the C8 heads do not...
1956 Ford Gasser 427FE
1966 Fairlane
1966 Bronco supercharged

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »
Thanks guys! I know it seems silly to be asking questions about garden variety parts. But I'm glad I did, I forgot about the exhaust ports on the D2 heads.  I'll grab the C8ae's. If I use these, they will end up getting worked over heavily and installed on the 445 I'm building for my truck. I'm shooting for 500hp so the heads are gonna have to flow well.
Kevin McCullah

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 11:18:16 PM »
Just FYI D2 and C8 both have the same exhaust port, matter of fact, they really are the same head, I think that even the harden seat benefit is a bit of a misnomer as they are induction hardened, and when ground bigger, it goes away.

They can support 500 hp, but it takes some work, as is 440-450 hp on a good day.  FWIW I am having a set done for my 445 with a med riser port entry, aftermarket CJ sized valves and a lot of grinding, hoping to see 280 cfm, but that may be optimistic.  Honestly, the C8/D2 heads are surely not heroes, but the truck guys don't have a lot of ptions

Regardless, C8/D2 heads are both probably the best bet for most trucks as the headers more readily match the low port "GT" heads.  I actually mocked up my truck Hedmans on a set of Edelbrocks and couldn't get a port match and not have a header bolt jammed against a primary tube.

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
Well I went to pick up the motor last night and the heads were all gone. Probably a blessing in disguise. So I got a std bore D4 390 short block with the reinforced mains but not a mirror 105 for $150. I will keep looking for CJ castings. I see single CJ castings on epay sometimes.
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »
I've found some older heads that look alot better than the C8's and D2's. So I will ask the same question. Which set should I grab. C1AE-6090A or C4AE-6090G?
I will be going to CJ size valves. I know the exhaust ports won't line up with truck headers also. Fabricating a set of fenderwell headers is in the plan.
Kevin McCullah