Author Topic: Best source for Mustang fiberglass parts?  (Read 5733 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Best source for Mustang fiberglass parts?
« on: April 25, 2018, 02:13:20 PM »
Anybody have suggestions where the best source for Mustang fiberglass parts would be? Specifically, the hood. Looking for the heavy duty stuff intended for street use, not the lightweight race stuff.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Best source for Mustang fiberglass parts?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »
My racing buddy needed a new fiberglass hood for his '67 Mustang a few years ago, the race car / custom shop doing some of the work for him, including painting the new hood, recommended he get a GlassTek hood. He said their experience with fiberglass body parts was that GlassTek had the best quality with the least amount of finishing work needed. My friend did order his hood from GlassTek, and initially they sent the wrong hood ( one for a Fox body ), but when he called them they immediately took care of the issue and he did finally get the right part. There may be a wait for your part, but if I remember it was around 6 weeks. Something to ask. When he did get the correct hood it looked nice and the race shop said it fit excellent and needed very little finishing. Since then I have seen other people recommend GlassTek products too. I just wish they had more stuff for Fords, but they do have a selection for Mustangs.

www.glasstek.com
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »
Kevin, thanks for that. I had checked out their website previously and was discouraged by the fact that they have no pictures of their products, or at least to the products I'm interested in. It's nice to at least see a view of what you'll be paying hundreds of dollars for. Even a Google searched tuned up nothing for the '69 Mustang. They do seem to have a very good reputation from all that I've read though. Sometimes that's enough.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 03:37:10 PM »
I don't know  of any source but what is your goal with
the fiberglass hood? Fit and function, light weight?
If fit and function, i recommend using a stock steel
inner structure that you adjust to the car
and glass a fiberglass skin on that
Today after 50 years if you take 10 mustangs and
try to fit the same hood on them most likely the hood
will fit different on everyone of them. No problem with a steelhood
you can bend and straighten here and there
but on a glasshood naaa... not that easy
And if you use springs on the hinges and have it in the sun it will bend eventualy

If light wheigt just a skinn with one layer glass one layer firette matt and use dzus fasteners
One of my closest friends have a fiberglass company so i have been involved in that quite a bit
http://rpglasfiber.com
Here is his own Mustang -69 with a hood with 68 shelby scoop

Im actualy is in progress to teaching his son to do sheetmetalwork, This week we straithened a
-62 mercury hood they was going to fit a bubble scoop to
A real talented kid, He have converted two old hydraulic woodsplitters to tube benders  ;D and make
A arms for snowmobiles a big seller over the whole country
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:19:41 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 08:45:21 PM »
I've noticed that in the last several years fiberglass car parts have increased in price quite a bit.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:42:44 PM »
I have a brand new 65 Shelby style hood here for the 66 428 Fastback I am doing.I haven't totally unwrapped it yet but the bottom sure looks nice.It is also a steel framed hood..It came from Dynacorn...didn't know they were building such things...Might be worth a look..
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 11:19:37 PM »
My hood came from Maier Racing. It is sturdy, but needed a fair amount of work to make it fit correctly. The area for the hinges had to be built up. The holes for the hinges had to be re-drilled and tapped for a proper fit. With the front lined up, the back had to be lengthened to close the gap at the cowl. The body shop guy had me buy an old rusted hood so he could cut the plate for the latch out of it and glassed that into the hood. The factory latch mechanism and release works very well.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 12:29:18 AM »
I checked Dynacorn and they don't have anything like that for the '69. Although I was amazed at the stuff you can buy from them now.

John, thanks for the feedback on the Maier stuff. The only ones I came across that were stock form were the Maier and Glasstek. Glasstek seems to have pretty high praise from everything I saw. Even though the Maier is $180 more and seemed to require more work for proper fitment, they have a much better selection on styles, especially for your year.

Heo, I just need a hood I can cut a hole in, and even though I have a spare, I don't want to cut up an original hood. It has to hold up to some street driving, so racing weight isn't my biggest concern. The steel Dynacorn looks to be the cheapest option, and they have a decent reputation for fit, but I'm considering fiberglass to save some weight, at the addition of cost.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 02:48:56 AM »
If you want a sturdy hood in fiberglass and keep the
hinges and latch mecanism the wheightsaving is not
that big.
I would go a dynacorn steel hood if a hole in the hood
is the main reason

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 07:22:15 AM »
The Mustang has a pretty big hood, and I can eliminate the latch since I have hood pins. So if I eliminate the springs, the latch, the hood scoop, and along with a few pounds of steel, it should pretty much offset the added weight of the intake, and maybe even shed a few pounds more. My car is a bit heavy with the added sound deadener, and the SOG block adds an extra 50lbs on the nose, so every bit helps.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 12:45:47 PM »
i don't remember the exact nr now but with a sturdy fiberglass hood minus springs and latch
i think you save about 8-10 kg about 18-22 LBS and about the double with a dzus mounted
one Glass one firette layer hood
If you put the battery in the trunk its like setting the engine back 4-6 inches something on a mustang
A battery wheight 40-50 LBS hanging in front of front axle changed to hanging behind rear axle that
make a change
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:57:16 PM by Heo »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 05:15:07 PM »
Moving the battery is also on the list.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 06:13:41 PM »
Then you have compensated for the extra block wheight
and added some rear wheight. And lost half of the Mustang
trunk"space" :)

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 06:58:56 AM »
Doug, Crites does make some fiberglass parts for mustangs, real good quality on my fairlane hoods just took 8 monthes to get it. Maybe the mustang stuff is quicker. Good luck Dan
http://www.critesperformanceparts.com/
Remember, RPM is your friend

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »
Dan, thanks for that. I wasn't aware that Crites made Mustang stuff, and I also wasn't aware that they were located in Ohio. That's only about 2 1/2 hours from me. Might be worth a trip down to check them out and talk with them. They're $85 cheaper than Glasstek, and I could pick it up and save shipping.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe