Author Topic: Heads are off and no real smoking gun  (Read 5786 times)

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
Re: Heads are off and no real smoking gun
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »
Yes Stangman it looks like there is some buildup
of oil and water there ??? interesting to wipe that
of and have a look at the gasket
Nr 8 piston crown is clean. A sign of water

The light plays a few tricks. No.8 looks the same as the rest in person. I put a bore scope in immediately after & there was no signs of moisture in any cylinder. All plugs clean & dry and coolant looked perfect. No oil there.  There was no evidence of 'cross channelling' near that oil feed. All gasket areas, head & intake, around water jackets showed no signs of failure. I haven't had a chance to dig deeper yet. Was hoping to find something obvious.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 06:15:32 PM »
some blocks have problem with the oilfeed to the
heads cracking but then you get oil in the water
since the oil pressure is higher than water pressure....
and it looks like you have a major leak of water....

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »
I have inspected everything I can think of. All gasket seals looked good. The one strange thing is no.6 exhaust port (pictured) but the chamber, piston & bore look just like the rest. No.6 is the only one that looks like this. Also pictured are the cracks between the rear water jackets & the head bolt holes. I am damn sure they were there 20 years ago and even if coolant leaks into the head bolt hole there is no exposure to crankcase. Unless anyone can make any suggestions I see some pressure testing coming up.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »
A head bolt does not form a seal at the base of the head. I think the water is traveling up the bolt and coming out underneath the head of the bolt and into the valvetrain area. That crack is pretty obvious and doesn't look good. You may have been lucky and gotten away with it for some time, but the crack may have traveled farther down into the bolt hole and made it worse over time.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 08:19:51 AM »
I think the water is traveling up the bolt and coming out underneath the head of the bolt and into the valvetrain area. That crack is pretty obvious and doesn't look good.

Yes but this was a lot rather sudden. I cant see a torqued up nut & washer (head studs) on aluminium letting through more than a weep.