Author Topic: Engine Storage Stands ?  (Read 2800 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Engine Storage Stands ?
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:51:06 PM »
I'm wanting a stand to support my new engine, attach the bell, fly, clutch and trans, to align everything before installing into my Cobra.
To make it easier for this old man, rather than kneeling down on the garage floor to assemble, I have a very strong table, that I could place everything on to assemble.

I don't think the four post cradle will work, as you use the bell bolt area ?
The very few two post engine storage stand for the FE is just fine, but the cost with shipping are from $80 to $95. That's a lot of money for my needs.

Should I fork over nearly 100 bucks for one , or just put the engine on it's oil pan, use like  2x6 etc, to support the rear on the engine then install everything ?

scott foxwell

Re: Engine Storage Stands ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »
I would build a cradle out of 2x's on edge that sits the engine on the pan rail, not the bottom of the pan. Should be fairly simple. If you have a "T" pan, at least support most of the weight by the rails behind the sump and maybe put a block under it in front.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 04:27:18 PM »
I have a couple of these for my stuff, not sure if this is similar to what you're looking for. Company is "Motofeet". They allow you to bolt the bellhousing & trans to the engine if you want, as they bolt to the motor mount holes. Pictures show them balancing with the trans attached, but I haven't tried that. You can add casters if you want. They have a dealer network across the country, see if anyone near you sells them. The dealer near me didn't stock the FE & 460 version, and although he was very nice and told me he would get them ordered, I never heard back from him. I ended up buying mine from Loper's speed shop in Phoenix when I was there, they had them in stock. I think the price was about $49 set. If you can weld, or have a buddy who can you could make these up pretty easy. they seem pretty sturdy, for their purpose, made in the U.S.A. Here's a link to their website:

https://motofeet.com/2500
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »
I bought a couple of these with casters and am happy with them. They allow me to store a couple FEs and move them around as needed.
Have no idea if they will balance with the bell & trans attached.

https://www.stumpysfabworks.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Bill

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 05:31:55 PM »
MotorFeet is one I'm looking at, from Eastwoods for $70 plus $15 shipping.

I also emailed Stumpy yesterday, but no reply so far.

With the cost, I may do what you did Scott. Mr. Dove made a combo of wood sizes, a shipping cradle, wasn't pretty, but worked. I thru is out as i felt their's no reason to keep it. SHUCKS !

Machspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:28:25 PM by Machspeed »

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 10:20:23 PM »
Stumpy's is the way to go he's a great guy and very good service.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 05:09:49 AM »
I keep a couple styles in inventory

HTM101

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 07:44:41 AM »
x3 for Stumpy's cradle.  I asked him to build one with the tall and wide options.  I was able to hang the bellhousing, transmission and temporarily hung the primary headers and side pipes.  After adding some sturdy casters, it is easy to move around the garage.

shady

• View Profile
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »
LOL, the 1000lb dolly that caves under 500 lbs.  They do work if you top them with something to spread the load.  Watch for BBs on the floor, that's how you know the casters are coming apart.  I have and use several.  Best deal is that when they fail, you toss and go get another one.

Stumpy's looks like a good deal - I typically build my own but his prices are about what material costs not counting the time to cut and fab.  That said, for assembly work to make engine and trans, I just use the engine hoist.  I use one of these

https://www.pro1safety.com/Engine-Hoist-Sling-Pro1Safety-P1-ES-100.htm

And keep the trans on a rolling dolly.  Four 7/16-14 x 3" bolts with the heads cut off for guide pins, then just slide the parts together.  Bolt up, lift, connect converter, all done.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 10:23:14 AM »
right now I have 2 complete 390s, carb to pan sitting on them for years. easy to move around. I even fired one that was just sitting on the dolly, no tie downs. I wanted to hear it run b4 I installed it in the car. The only thing I added was a 2x4 under the front lip of the oil pan for clearance on the damper. Easy & cheap.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
I ordered one fro Kurt "Spanky" yesterday.
I sure like like that sling system.   8)