Author Topic: Interesting Hybrid Intake  (Read 2167 times)

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

ntheogen

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Hybrid Intake
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »
That's pretty cool.

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:41:20 AM »
It certainly looks like an Edelbrock crossram with the box welded on top. The side casting holes/plugs match the Edel. and even the flat plate between the casting holes. Just my thought.

Richard >>> FERoadster
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:34:40 AM by FERoadster »

scott foxwell

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 10:44:19 AM »
I'd sure like to see the inside of that....

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 12:37:25 PM »
I spotted that intake for sale at a swap meet here back in 2015 and posted a picture of it. The owner appears to be local here to the Twin City area, but I don't know who it is. Just in case they are a member here we should keep our comments respectful lol. A while back I saw another post about it being for sale, I don't remember where I saw it, but obviously the owner hasn't moved it yet. Here's a link to my old post, which shows the price the owner was asking at the time, might give an idea of what the owner thinks it's worth.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=2803.msg28016#msg28016
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 01:55:23 PM »
As Jay's testing has shown, who knows? I agree the flow is rather tortured and likely not very good. Looks well made though.

Funny too that Ford's own engineers were convinced that a pair of the old in-line Autolite (Ford) 4bbl carbs on a Cross-Boss intake would work well on a Boss 302 (305 CID max.) Trans-Am '70 Mustang. Well, it did in the higher rpms ranges I learned long ago but it w-a-y too much carb for a road-racer where low rpms in tight turns, followed by max. WOT on near 1/2 mile long straightaways, favored smaller CFM carbs and a moderate plenum.

Point is, Ford made a ton of race-styled intakes for FE's over time where I think they did so, in part, to let the engine decide what it liked best based upon the racing venue! 
Bob Maag

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 06:55:15 AM »
It was at the Back to the 50’s swap meet in 2017 with a $2K price tag on it.
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »
  This intake or one just like it has been at the Columbus meet every time spring and fall for many years with or without a carb. At one point it had an early Dominator but he wouldn't separate it at the time. Later someone convinced him and the intake was $900 bare. This popped up just after the meet last year on Ebay and again this year at the same time. It is an F-66 with the runners cut down inside basically in Bud Moore fashion. Well, assuming it is the same example as it very much appears to be. The story sounds the same and the intake is identical in every way if it is the same seller or not.

Just for fun Man-a-Fre also modified the F-66 for six of thier Rochester carbs which an optional secondary injection system called "the after burner" could be added to. Basically it took over at high rpm use with a flip of a switch. Ford also developed at least two similar intakes for Tunnelport 427 and the open plenum Hiriser piece I'm still looking for.

This type of stuff is not for everyone that's why they developed and mass produce dualplane single four Performer RPMs that win nearly every single carb shootout ever printed for every brand of engine. No kidding your mild 390 is probably best suited to one... Maybe the mutant works, maybe not but it really doesn't matter either way. This thing could be a dog and still be cooler than pretty much anything else for a low/medium riser you're going to find. If anyone has this sort of thing for Hiriser, Boss 429, Boss 302...maybe Tunnelport-SOHC, no matter if it is XE Ford or some homemade effort I am most likely your buyer.