Author Topic: Need Help on what to see from Grand Canyon To Las Vegas-car museums ?  (Read 1905 times)

2ndgear

• View Profile
Tomorrow traveling from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas with truck and toy hauler (Harley) and staying two nights. Looking for thoughts on car museums and RV parks to stay at. RV park close to the strip would be good. Not a gambler but would like to see a few shows and the night lights. Thanks in advance. See you all at Beaver Springs.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Need Help on what to see from Grand Canyon To Las Vegas-car museums ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 12:29:12 PM »
It's been quite a while since I was there, so do some research first, but Shelby had a manufacturing shop / museum / gift shop at their facility near the Las Vegas Speedway complex. We took a free tour there about 15 years ago that was interesting. They only had one tour a day there in the morning at the time, so you want to make sure of the time, although the main lobby was open during business hours, and the lobby had cars on display. I did a Google search and Google is returning a Shelby Museum closer to the Las Vegas Airport that wasn't there back then, along with the facility near the Speedway. I don't know if the shop at the Speedway is still there?

You might want to do a search for any car shows/swap meets going on in the area. This is kind of a prime time of the year for that stuff in the South West before it starts to get too hot. I know you won't be there on the weekend, but often there are local cruise's during the week somewhere, like drive-in's.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:30:57 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 01:58:49 PM »
hoover dam is a must.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

2ndgear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:54:02 PM »
Yes Hoover Dam it is and I will also do a search about car cruise during the week. Thanks for the ideals.

TomP

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 11:14:37 PM »
Shelby moved to just south of the Mandalay Bay now. The hourly evening light show at Fremont Street in th old Downtown area is worth seeing. The Bellagio fountains are best viewed from the Eiffel tower across the street. Great view of the lights from up there when it gets dark. Not sure if the old Imperial Palace collection is still there but it was a year or so after the IP became the Linq. This says it closed just a few months ago. A shame, they had some real interesting cars.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/the-strip/long-running-auto-collection-on-las-vegas-strip-shutting-its-doors/

No idea on RV parks but there are, a friend stays in one near town when he is down there at the races and SEMA.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:16:57 PM by TomP »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:50:19 AM »
Dan, Trish was just out there a month ago visiting her Mother. She lives in Lake Havasu and they always go to Vegas to visit the area when she goes out there. She always talks about "Little Italy" being a neat place to see, and of course the water show and other 'standard' places to visit in Vegas. I know that since terrorist issues have come up, Hoover Dam is not as easy to visit and enjoy. You can't stop on the Dam. I'm not even sure if you can walk out on it now, but I still think it's be neat to see however they allow it.

Hope you enjoy your trip, and have a safe time. Looking forward to seeing you and Mary at the FE R&R.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »
I know you’re traveling today but thought I’d throw out the town of Oatman Az. It’s outside of Kingman (st rt 10) which you’ll prolly be heading through if you’re on the south side of the canyon. Old mining town, pretty cool. Curvy roads for a large rig though.
If you’re feeling adventurous it’s cool.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon