Author Topic: Help me get 700hp out of a 482  (Read 12475 times)

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
Re: Help me get 700hp out of a 482
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 10:13:37 PM »
I do lots of manifolds, but I'm pretty backed up right now. Mr. Joe Craine comes to mind.  He knows what to do.
Blair Patrick

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 03:20:55 AM »
I'd make it a 520.  I start them at 4.345 bore and that leaves .030 to hone many times before you even get to 4.375.  10.5:1, Street Pro Ports, BP baby roller.....700 no problem.

I've seen you classify that baby roller as having a really rough idle, which I think is a little less streetable than I'm looking for.  Would love to hear what it sounds like though...back to Google / YouTube I go!

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 05:51:51 AM »
Idle quality can be helped by wider lobe separation, and EFI smooths the idle also.  You won't see 700 hp without a fairly aggressive camshaft.  Rougher idle kinda goes with that territory.  A 390 with a baby roller on a 108 would sound like John Force's funny car.  A 520 with a baby roller on a 112......a much different idle quality.  It just depends what a person wants.  Wider lobe separation will typically take torque away.......big stroke street engines tolerate wider lobes better, making smoother idle doable without killing the torque.  Small engines need help, so tighter lobes build torque.  Build a combo with a design to fit your goals......
Blair Patrick

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
Mr. Joe Craine is retired, OFFICIALLY.  I am finishing up the heads and intakes I have accepted from past commitments.  I am sorry, but I have to find a stopping place.  I take my work very seriously, and the stress of always making the next intake or set of heads better than the last is taking its toll.  There comes a point where the increases in flow stop and you start making mistakes, and then it becomes work instead of fun.  I have reached that point where it is more work than it is fun.  Hopefully I will still be able to get to EMC and a few special events, and get my '55 T-bird fitted with the 375 Y Block and 5 speed, and the Shelby with a new 482 all aluminum FE.  That is sounding like fun!  Joe-JDC 
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »
Understood Joe, and I'm still in the beginning stages of gathering parts so I can afford to wait for Blair on the intake port work.

Blair, would you physically need the heads in your possession to do the intake work?  And I can definitely handle (and desire) something sounding very lopey at idle...as long as it's not a pain in the ass on the street.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 05:03:51 PM »
You will be able to hit 700 hp, but it will take some good heads, as well as some camshaft and rpms. 

Cubic inches are your friend.  If this is a street build, the bigger the better when aiming for a high horsepower number.  A larger engine will require less camshaft, less rpm, and less compression, in comparison to a small engine. 

Something around the 496-520 cube range would serve you well.   The 4.375" stroke crankshaft works just fine, street or race.  I do quite a few builds with them and it's a very easy way to add displacement with no other detriments.

A solid camshaft will be necessary and I also do a lot of "street roller" camshafts that are easy on valve springs and lifters, so there are ways to deal with solid rollers on the street that will live a long while.  The lobe design is critical as too aggressive of a lobe will be hard on parts.

If you're willing to "settle" for about 625-650 hp, then it can be done with the above combination and a hydraulic roller. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:32:46 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 07:47:08 PM »
Another note, an aggressive engine like that will be tough for a C6 to handle and keep the streetable nature, just my opinion. The cams they are taking about will probably require a pretty high stall converter, which in turn takes away from being street friendly.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »
Just add a nox bottle.

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 01:45:10 AM »
Just add a nox bottle.

This is going to stay an N/A build.

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 01:49:33 AM »
A solid camshaft will be necessary and I also do a lot of "street roller" camshafts that are easy on valve springs and lifters, so there are ways to deal with solid rollers on the street that will live a long while.  The lobe design is critical as too aggressive of a lobe will be hard on parts.

If you're willing to "settle" for about 625-650 hp, then it can be done with the above combination and a hydraulic roller.

If hitting 700hp means a solid cam, I may settle for less.  I need to think about this.

And to BH107's point, how high of a stall do those street roller cams require that you mention?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 05:06:09 AM »
It will need a solid cam. 

Also, if you're worried about torque converter stall rpms, then this probably isn't the route you wanna take.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

plovett

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 05:56:45 AM »
Mr. Joe Craine is retired, OFFICIALLY.  I am finishing up the heads and intakes I have accepted from past commitments.  I am sorry, but I have to find a stopping place.  I take my work very seriously, and the stress of always making the next intake or set of heads better than the last is taking its toll.  There comes a point where the increases in flow stop and you start making mistakes, and then it becomes work instead of fun.  I have reached that point where it is more work than it is fun.  Hopefully I will still be able to get to EMC and a few special events, and get my '55 T-bird fitted with the 375 Y Block and 5 speed, and the Shelby with a new 482 all aluminum FE.  That is sounding like fun!  Joe-JDC

Sorry to hear it, Joe.  Well, not really sorry as you should do what makes you happy.  I feel privileged to have two intake manifolds ported by you.  I will make that ported Tunnel Wedge an engine worthy of it at some point.  I have a plan for it.  Thanks for you all you've done. 

paulie

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 08:47:24 AM »

Well earned sir.  When the work takes the stripe before the fun part, it's time to park it in the pit, crack open the adult beverages and go to bench racing.  We would appreciate any continued pontification you choose to make on these interwebs, for the benefit of us unwashed and bottle honed masses. 

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »
Discussion thread about using a girdle with cross-bolted block includes a couple of statements to the effect that stock blocks are only reccommended up to 600 HP.  What is the recommended limit on the BBM blocks?

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 08:07:36 PM »
It will need a solid cam. 

Also, if you're worried about torque converter stall rpms, then this probably isn't the route you wanna take.

Noted on the cam, thanks.

I need to go drive a car that has a high stall.  I just don't really know how much it will bother me.