Author Topic: Oil Catch Can Brands, Who's Works Best & Why ?  (Read 2625 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Oil Catch Can Brands, Who's Works Best & Why ?
« on: March 26, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
With my new 427 Cobra 428 engine build, I may want a well working catch can. I know some people do not beleive they work, but from what I've seen and heard, they work well IF, they have sufficant absorbing material. The original Cobras used them, but they were mandated.

I'm not using a turbo or other power adder, but a well working system can keep the valves cleaner. I assume one also keep the spark plugs cleaner ?

What works and do not ?
What brands ?  Moroso, ebay cheapies etc ?

The catch can in side comes from a valve cover, but where is best to put the out, in the back of the intake ?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:40:12 PM by 427HISS »

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Oil Catch Can Brands, Who's Works Best & Why ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 05:22:18 PM »
I wasn't aware that any factory FE's used an oil catch can. Are you sure Cobra's used them? The only ones I've seen are aftermarket jobs intended for newer vehicles, and they just use a can that has to be emptied. I think it'd be easy to adapt one of those to work, and I suppose a hole could be drilled in the bottom of the can that ran back to the back of the intake, but I imagine that might negate the vacuum needed from the intake to make it work properly.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:45:23 PM »
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/134283-oil-puke-tank.html

Yeah, more pics of the original Cobra catch tank and a description of where it was placed. That said, unless you care for the original look, today's modern air/oil separators I think would work better.  Have seen Moroso's unit but don't use one myself.
Bob Maag

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »
Not looking for originality, but wanting to see if one will reduce the build up on the pistons, valves and spark plugs.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »
I don't think it would affect buildup on pistons and valves at all unless a vacuum is placed on it. Even then I think it would have little affect unless you go to a full vacuum system designed for crankcases. Modern catch cans come into play because PCV systems are closed circuits under a vacuum and they use the oil separators to stop the engine from sucking that oil vapor/mist into the engines intake system. On the older designed system like is shown on those Cobras, the only thing it's going to do is stop that mist from making its way under the car and onto the chassis and roadway, which I'm sure was the reasoning behind the rule in the first place.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 04:01:40 AM »
I don't think it would affect buildup on pistons and valves at all unless a vacuum is placed on it. Even then I think it would have little affect unless you go to a full vacuum system designed for crankcases. Modern catch cans come into play because PCV systems are closed circuits under a vacuum and they use the oil separators to stop the engine from sucking that oil vapor/mist into the engines intake system. On the older designed system like is shown on those Cobras, the only thing it's going to do is stop that mist from making its way under the car and onto the chassis and roadway, which I'm sure was the reasoning behind the rule in the first place.
Thats what i think

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 07:59:04 PM »
Never forget riding in a 427 Model A for about 300 miles round trip. He had simple breathers on to of both VC's. The airflow had the air stream going around the motor right into the windows down cab.  All I can compare it to was getting my wisdom teeth yanked, having the not all that bad taste of your own blood, but after a few hours it becomes unbearable/sickening - ditto on breathing the subtle scent of crankcase emissions.  It's a proven fact that oil mist in a combustion chamber can cause detonation. Hence the need to run a catch-can especially when turning up the boost or simply building up compression by laying your right foot down (makes for more oil mist/blow-by)
   In emissions tight cars the crankcase ventilation system manages to channel crankcase emissions into the intake tract. All these new-wiz catch-cans claim to separate the oil mist from the crankcase gasses.  There's a lot of no pun intended snake-oil being sold.
It's not rocket science - bone-up on coalescer's to get yourself knowledgeable and help yourself decide. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalescer#Mechanical_coalescers