Author Topic: TnD race rockers  (Read 1933 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
TnD race rockers
« on: March 19, 2018, 03:13:24 PM »
Anyone ever marry the race rocker set up to iron tunnel port heads?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

mike7570

Re: TnD race rockers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »
The only difference I can think of over regular heads is the slight offset. I had a set of FPP roller rockers (4th series I think) on my tunnel port and there was a little offset in them for better pushrod alignment. Doug at POP would know, I think he either made them or designed them. I'm not sure if T & D's are made that way.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:43:12 PM by mike7570 »

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 05:42:33 PM »
I have done it.  It is tedious.  The area around the OE pedestals is jacketed......meaning, there is water under there!  You have to be careful not to go too deep, and only as far back toward the spring seats as is absolutely necessary.  A ball nosed end mill, and a chamfer on the T&D subplate are a good idea.  I have also milled .050 off the subplate to aid in avoiding breaking into water.  That requires shortening the eight 7/16 fasteners so they don't bottom out.  It is doable, and you can weld up a boo boo if you break through, but you just have to be careful not to open up a problem there along the back edge of the subplate.  As far as offsets, the Medium Riser set-up will work, on-center.  There are a few shims that can be moved to take care if the side to side locations.  The problem is that the pushrod will always be located further up toward the valve cover rail with the pair shaft T&D.  The original tube has to come out, and a new elongated tube has to go in, in the right place.  Much more work on the manifold than the head to make all that stuff work on a Tunnel Port. 
Blair Patrick

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
Thanks for all the info,  I been so on the fence about using these heads or passing them on. I'm sure cutting on a set of tunnel ports would upset a few folks so I'm prob better of passing them on to someone that would use them as is..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

mike7570

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 07:50:09 PM »
I was thinking street rocker on shaft, forgot race rockers are paired. Why not just use a good set of someone else’s rollers. Do you plan on really high RPM?
I ran the FPP (POP) design to 7500 with no problems. (About .650 -.678 lift)