Author Topic: BBM Block question  (Read 2240 times)

wowens

• View Profile
BBM Block question
« on: March 17, 2018, 12:32:16 PM »
Will the BBM iron block lifter galley architecture allow bushed keyway lifter installation with no issues
Woody

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: BBM Block question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:01:29 AM »
Never done it with an FE block.

The only issue that I see would be the thickness between the lifter bores and the thickness between the lifter bore and the water jackets.  The hole gets pretty big with a .937" lifter bore bushing.  There's nothing wrong with how the lifter passages oil as the bushings have a band around the outside of them and a restricted feed hole. 

It's not a problem with BBF blocks, but I'm not sure on an FE. 

Sorry I wasn't any help.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:30:44 AM »
I have bushed several BBM blocks with 1" O.D. bushings, without issue.  I can't remember the depth of the key offhand, but as Brent mentioned, the first place it will get thin on you is the water jacket side of the bore.  A sonic test in the lifter bore would tell you what you need to know.  FWIW, a bushed .937 Crower Enduramax with a tie bar is about as good as lifters get, keyed or not......just food for thought.  I use the .903 Enduramax with 1000+ open pressure and have had good service that way.
Blair Patrick

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:50:52 AM »
Same here, I use non-keyed Crowers at .903" and .937" diameter.  Currently have a pulling truck engine going together with 400 lbs seat and almost 1300 lbs open with them. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »
I am working on a POND iron block, has .937 Crower Enduro-max (needle-less) tie bar lifters, the bronze CHE lifter bushings are 1.062 OD, this block has the solid "bar" area along the lift bores so there is  a lot of "meat" there. On another POND aluminum block, has 1.000 OD bushings in it, but has the more stock looking lifter area in the valley, so less meat on that one.. I have not seen a BBM iron block, but have handled 2 different BBM aluminum blocks, both of those have the stock looking lifter area, not the big bar or block, like (some) the POND and later Genesis blocks do.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior