Author Topic: The best rear end suspension system.  (Read 4965 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: The best rear end suspension system.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 10:24:44 AM »
On four links, a drag-only set-up, they work great once set-up but wow, too many stories on fellas who really had a hard time adjusting the bars to get the set-up they needed or wanted. A true trailered race car suspension. That and a broken Heim joint (they always seem to break at the first thread after the Y shape of the bearing end) or cracked weld on the tubes will put you in a world of hurt!

Never saw or even heard of any Cal-Trac suspension break or bend on some mighty fast cars. That and the set-up is as pretty straight forward and, as mentioned, once it's right, leave it forever. Not so true with four links as 'messing' with a pretty good set-up gets fellas, looking for a tad better hook, way off track afterwards unless they keep a measurement log book.

Heck, even some old slapper bar cars (think: Lakewood) run darned fast too! 
Bob Maag

Heo

• View Profile

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 02:46:36 PM »
Those SSM bars are decent, better than slapper bars and not as good as a CalTrac.  So in the middle more or less LOL.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 03:22:14 PM »
Any suspension will work, but remember shocks.  Tuning that suspension takes ALL the components set correctly to work the best.  ESPECIALLY with 900 hp.  That is something you have to take into account.  There is huge difference between launching/controlling a 500 hp engine and a 900 hp engine.

I'd vote for Caltracs in your "street car" situation.  Thought I think it will be a moot point on the street.   No matter how much street idiots....I mean street outlaws you watch you can't hook 900 hp on the "street", and I mean a real street.  Not some overly prepped back road or parking lot.
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »
I know they are not perfect,  but not that bad that they are a laughing mather ???

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it