Author Topic: Instalation of hedman #85120on my 66 comet  (Read 2219 times)

manofmerc

• View Profile
Instalation of hedman #85120on my 66 comet
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:32:04 AM »
For sometime now I has wanted a new set of hedders for my 66 comet . It has a center oiler 427 with428 crank edelbrock 427 heads sidewinder intake c6 transmission etc. My old heddeer were showing their age . And they have always fit right up against my transmission making service difficult .They are also hedman I bought them when Jimmy Carter was president !These new ones are unique in that they are a two piece design.You bolt the back pair on and slide the front pair in they have a nice slip fit that works well.On the passenger side the rear set went on fine .I had to reclock my powermaster starter to get it away from the #4 tube .I then had to grind down the starter head it was hitting the half moon on the block and wouldn't go all the way in .After doing so it was easier to install that top bolt .the front pair 1-2 went in easy but #1 tube was hitting the corner for the sway bar mount .After trimming3/16 off the corner it fit fine and all was bolted up.On the drivers side #7 was hitting the transmission it was right at the ear were the block bolts up .I marked it and heated that area with my torch and used an old piston pin and hammer to lets say adjust it .It then went right on as well as the front pair of 5-6 .These hedders fit well with only two areas needing work the collectors aren't close to my transmission either .Installing those bolts are a real pain though .Partly that's my fault my heads don't have the cj bolt pattern .When I bought them I was looking at the bigger combustion chamber of the 427 heads  not considering how well the hedders fit .Out of the box I just did some deburring the welding looked good and inside the ports was nice someone did some nice grinding there .These hedmans are 1 3/4s with a 3" collector I believe they also have a 2" and they supposedly fit mustangs and cougars .One other thought I removed my tie rods and drag link to ease installation.They went right back on with no issues .This am I will modify my h pipe and hopefully hook it up .Thanks all just an option for everyone .Doug ;D

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Instalation of hedman #85120on my 66 comet
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:50:41 PM »
Thanks for posting that info, hopefully it will help someone out if they pick up a set of those headers.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 06:51:35 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention in my original post .The oil filter and block adapter needs to be removed so having an extra gasket on hand will speed the installation process .I want to comment on hedder paint also .I didn't have the $$ to have my hedders coated so I tried the old vht paint .Two weeks later all is well with it .I went to great lengths on the paint prep .I wiped them down with brake clean and an abrasive pad then I used a metal etch .It is really a rust removal I use it to prep bare metal for paint.It seems to work good on hedders too . My paint is still looking good but for how long I don't know .Doug

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 12:51:29 PM »
i went through pretty much the same thing a few months ago with hookers on my 66 comet.no easy install.i had to grind in the same places. so headers on a 66 comet-fairlane is no simple task.getting all the bolts in and tight to me is the biggest headache,especially if you have baseball glove hands like me.funny how my grandson can get them in so easy.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 03:53:13 AM »
Frydaddy you are so right no easy way to do this job .I have arthritis in my hands and fingers it doesn't help at all .You know my comet is similar to yours black with the factory stripe .Mine is a comet though .Nice ride !Doug