Author Topic: How to get to Beaver Springs PA and stuff to do.  (Read 5429 times)

Rory428

• View Profile
How to get to Beaver Springs PA and stuff to do.
« on: March 02, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »
Well I have the holiday time from work booked off from April 20th thru May 6th, so I am trying to make plans to attend the FE Reunion at Beaver Springs Dragstrip. Although I would love to either haul my Fairmont, or drive my 59 to the event, that is not realistic, at least for this years event. I live near Vancouver BC Canada, which according to a travel site, is "only" 2826 miles ONE WAY, or about 50 hours driving, each way. So I would be looking at taking a flight from either Vancouver or Seattle Wa, I am curious which Pa airport would be the best to arrive at. It looks like both the Williamsport and Harrisburg airports are about 50 miles from Beaver Springs, but not sure how large these airports are, or if maybe flying into Pittsburgh, which I assume is a major airport, and renting a car, to make the drive to Beaver Springs, which looks like a bit under 200 miles. Any thoughts?  I have even looked at flying to Toronto Ontario, and renting a car, but that looks like about 7 1/2 hour drive each way. How about hotels/motels near the track? Since I will have a few days available before and after the races, any ideas for points of interest? Anybody know how far Detroit or Dearborn are from Pittsburg? I have always wanted to visit the Henry Ford Museum, and take a tour of the Ford assembly line, if they still offer them. How far is Beaver Springs from Altoona , or the G Force transmission shop?  Any other cool Ford or drag racing related things I should consider? If my wife decided to come with me, how far from the Amish area, or other historical locations in central PA? Lots of details to look into in the next month and a half.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

babybolt

• View Profile
Re: How to get to Beaver Springs PA and stuff to do.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »
Realistically, its about a 5 hour drive from the Pittsburgh International airport, not including rest stops.

At least a 8 hour drive to Detroit, ~470 miles. (From Beaver Springs to Detroit).

State College has a small airport, think its a little closer than Williamsport.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:24:00 AM by babybolt »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »
Rory, it would be great to see you there.  After my trip last year I think it is an event not to be missed!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »
Jay, this event has been on my "Bucket List" since I first heard about it. I would really like to be able to bring my Fairmont and my 59 (when I get around to finishing it!)  there someday, but logistcally, with the distance involved, thats a big commitment. I am sure there are several West Coast FE guys that would like to bring their cars to Beaver Springs, if we could come up with a plan to get 3,4,or 5 cars to Pennsylvania in a single rig, like those specialized classic car hauler companies. Even still, we are kinda spread out by hundreds of miles. But at least for this years event, I am currently looking at flights so I can at least show up as a spectator. There does not seem to be any direct flights from Vancouver to Pittsburgh, looks like a layover in Chicago is pretty common.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
If I get it finished I would let you drive mine.  You are doubtless a better stick driver than I am - - pretty much everybody is...

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:24:50 PM »
If I get it finished I would let you drive mine.  You are doubtless a better stick driver than I am - - pretty much everybody is...

I once got my boot caught between the brake and clutch while driving a large torquey diesel.
So basically the brake was applied while in gear and the engine wouldn't stall, instead it just belched black smoke and shuddered for what seemed like hours, until I finally shut the engine off and unwedged my foot.

This was in a Walmart parking lot with a bunch of people watching and trying to figure out what the heck I was doing.  (feel better?)

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 07:41:40 PM »
I believe you can fly into Harrisburg Pa the state capitol and beaver springs is about 1 hour from there.

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 10:11:27 PM »
Stewart Airport in Newburgh, NY might be another possibility. Not a really well-known place but there might be options.
I would guess a 4 hour or a little less drive from Newburgh.
I go through Newburgh on 84 when I go.
Bill

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 10:35:27 PM »
 I would fly into Scranton Wilkes-Barre airport. You can get a flight almost any day to Detroit  from there and see the Henry Ford. A little over an hour  to Beaver​.

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 06:28:49 PM »
Another thought Rory,   Fly into Detroit rent a car, leave Thurs. morning for PA, travel the road through Mountain(slow curves, small Amish towns and end up in Beaver Springs past track into Selinsgrove for room and travel back same route Sunday and see more Amish out and about for church, and have Monday Tuesday in Detroit for Henry Ford Museum, Barrys shop, maybe even contact John Vermeesch for a tour of Total Performance! The trip has great views as I've made it 3 times now from a couple hrs. north of Detroit............Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »
You mention Altoona, so your probably thinking of Tony Branda's shop.  The week before the FE Reunion is Spring Carlisle and I think Branda goes to that so you would want to check with Branda to see if he's around.  Folks have mentioned to Branda about going to the FE Reunion.  There are quite a few swap meets in MI, OH, and PA during those weeks.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 02:41:20 PM »
babybolt, yes, you are right about me being interested in going to Brandas, I recently  recieved my first order from them, and was quite happy with how good they were to deal with. Looking at a map, it looks like if I fly into Pittsburgh, Altoona is almost right on the way to Beaver Springs. I have not yet made any airline reservations, so I have been considering several different airports to land at. Detroit looks intesresting, as I really would like to tour the Henry Ford Museum and the Rouge plant. If time allows, I might even consider a trip to North Carolina to tour Dennis Carpenter and Jerico. I do have 2 weeks, but not sure if I will be spending that whole time away from home, as the following weekend is our first Super Shifter race, and the Fairmonts been sitting inside the trailer since the last race in September. I appreciate all the suggestions, keep em coming!

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 02:59:09 PM »
If you drop into Detroit I might make you drive the trailer on the way there - or back...

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 09:51:56 PM »
I know the scenic way to Beaver.......lol.  over the mountains and through the dale........doh!
Hope you can make the trip Rory.
Larry

StarlinerRon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 10:48:38 PM »
You could fly into Dulles International (probably more direct flights, maybe cheaper) and drive up Rt-15 which is

the straightest and most level drive to the Beaver. Plenty of neat stuff all over the area.  Come a week early and you can see Spring Carlisle too.

Have fun,

Ron.