Author Topic: Your Choise, Chrome Iron Or Polished Aluminum Water Pump ?  (Read 4389 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Re: Your Choise, Chrome Iron Or Polished Aluminum Water Pump ?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:44 AM »
A lot of factory polished aluminum parts are clear coated so you don't have to polish, but in time it will yellow. Car manufactures also clear them and like with our 300M, they pit and turn yellow from the salt on the roads in the winter. I'd rather not, have the clear coat.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
Addressing the 'cooling' part of the OP's question, the sort of impeller you find in the pump has much more to do with cooling than the pump material. When last I looked at an ebrock, it had a stamped steel impeller. Distinctly inferior to a properly-designed cast same. The impellers Dove put in his pumps were a slight rework of one designed by Ford's 'Skunkworks' for the road-Racing Boss 302. Moved plenty of water at low speeds, but were good past 7000 before showing signs of cavitation. Pumping efficiency goes way down when the pump starts cavitating.

KS

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 08:03:20 PM »
So, what's the cooling aid between steel, cast aluminum and one I've seen, billet aluminum ?
What's different with the Dove ?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 10:22:36 PM »
Stamped steel is designed only to be cheap. It'd seem to me that a billet impeller would be a lot of work for not much, as a cast, machined impeller does all that's necessary. Entirely different shape.

KS