Author Topic: Your Choise, Chrome Iron Or Polished Aluminum Water Pump ?  (Read 4386 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Your Choise, Chrome Iron Or Polished Aluminum Water Pump ?
« on: March 01, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
Which do you prefer ?
Any difference in cooling ?

wowens

• View Profile
Re: Your Choise, Chrome Iron Or Polished Aluminum Water Pump ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 05:20:40 PM »
Aluminum
But, polished aluminum needs constant polishing.
Chrome iron will eventually rust.
Perfect scenario to me is, have a used aluminum pump disassembled, polished, clear hard coat anodized, then rebuilt. No more polishing.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:37:52 PM by wowens »
Woody

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 05:59:44 PM »
Does the clear anodize dull the polish ?

I don't recall if a member here or somwhere else, that said the chemicals in the anodizing will eat away aluminum. I could have that information mixed up, but he suggested not using the product on aluminum. I'll have to find out out.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:07:41 PM by 427HISS »

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 02:19:15 AM »
Does the clear anodize dull the polish ?

I don't recall if a member here or somwhere else, that said the chemicals in the anodizing will eat away aluminum. I could have that information mixed up, but he suggested not using the product on aluminum. I'll have to find out out.

Anodizing does just the opposite.  It creates a hard oxide coating that PROTECTS the aluminum against corrosion.  It's the best way to go for a durable, maintenance free finish.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 08:37:53 AM »
I'd stay away from chrome. It'll start to rust, and will end up looking bad in just a couple years. Like Ken said, anodizing is best, IF it's a quality anodize. Aluminum wheels are a good example. A good anodize (like factories typically use) will last for quite a while, but look at some cheap wheels and they look like crap after a few years when the anodize starts to peel and flake off, then you've got a real mess.

I've used a good quality clear enamel on polished aluminum and had good luck with that. There are also some very good silver paints that resemble polished aluminum. Either one is easy to wipe off, lasts a good while and looks pretty decent. Nothing will last as long as you want though. None of the above will affect heating or cooling ability.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
I have used etching primer on some aluminum wheels then painted with a gray or silver paint to resemble the factory finish. It holds up and lasts for several yrs. In wastern NY that's a real test. Most factory finishes are wasted in a couple of yrs due to our road salt and calcium chloride the state insists on using. 

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 09:31:06 AM »
One more thing
Any clear spray on coating over polished aluminum changes the look.
Depth of shine goes away & color appears different.
Zoop Seal makes a protectant that they say works & doesn't alter shine, but I have heard it is hard to apply correctly & solvents will damage it. Never used it.
Woody

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »
Aluminum.  Prefer electric and anodized.  But in this climate, raw castings last a long time.  In winter when we're not racing I just Spray with WD-40.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
Are Edelbrock polished water pumps coated after polishing from the factory?

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 05:31:19 PM »
Good question. I know years ago they have "Endurashine" special coating, and now other company's (on ebay) have the same or their own, endurashine. I'll do a search about endurashine....

Ok, here's from a forum.-

Default Endurashine Coatings- Who Does It?
I have been seeing that new Edelbrock Endurashine stuff floating around and it looks badass!!! Does anyone know who does it? I have alot of parts that I would love to get coated with that stuff. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Spitter

Ok, here is a small explination,

Bright Silver Chrome finish with powder-coat durability• 3-Step Vacuum Metering Process; base coat, aluminum coat, and a clear top coat to enhance abrasion and chemical resistance• A bright, durable, maintenance-free polished aluminum look•
Now you can get show-quality looks and a great performing manifold, water pump and accessories with this ultra-modern finish. What is EnduraShine™? It's an amazing finish that has the brilliance of chrome or a well-polished piece, but without the maintenance or the high price tag. This revolutionary new coating won't fade or oxidize and cleans up easily with soap and water.

The secret to the success of EnduraShine™ is its three-step coating process. First a base coat is applied for adhesion and smoothing properties. A second coat of metal is then applied in a high-tech vacuum chamber for a complete and consistent coat that is actually thinner than a human hair. The third and final coating includes a clear powder coat for the ultimate protection and durability. This all adds up to great looks, exceptional value and long-term durability.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 07:23:40 PM by 427HISS »

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 06:07:56 PM »
Are Edelbrock polished water pumps coated after polishing from the factory?
Never saw one, may be a good option
Woody

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »
My Edelbrock  pump has over the yrs turned from the natural looking finish to a yellow looking finish. I believe the heat from the water and motor turned it. The intake and the valve covers from Blue Thunder are just showing a little spotting in places. These are 10 and 7 yrs old respectively.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 11:56:24 AM »
If it's rusted paint it.... if it isn't, grease it.

steinauge

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 09:21:07 PM »
I am using an aluminum water pump that is not polished or coated.If it gets dirty I spray it with brake clean.

Cobradriver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 07:40:13 AM »
If it's rusted paint it.... if it isn't, grease it.

;D

I built my Cobra ~20 years ago. 4 years ago it was looking rough from all
the time in the Florida sun. When repainting I did a couple of things....

Painted the engine compartment silver instead of black.

Most importantly if the part had to be polished....it either got
chrome plated or painted !!!

I despise polishing aluminum....

Chris

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:44 AM »
A lot of factory polished aluminum parts are clear coated so you don't have to polish, but in time it will yellow. Car manufactures also clear them and like with our 300M, they pit and turn yellow from the salt on the roads in the winter. I'd rather not, have the clear coat.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
Addressing the 'cooling' part of the OP's question, the sort of impeller you find in the pump has much more to do with cooling than the pump material. When last I looked at an ebrock, it had a stamped steel impeller. Distinctly inferior to a properly-designed cast same. The impellers Dove put in his pumps were a slight rework of one designed by Ford's 'Skunkworks' for the road-Racing Boss 302. Moved plenty of water at low speeds, but were good past 7000 before showing signs of cavitation. Pumping efficiency goes way down when the pump starts cavitating.

KS

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 08:03:20 PM »
So, what's the cooling aid between steel, cast aluminum and one I've seen, billet aluminum ?
What's different with the Dove ?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 10:22:36 PM »
Stamped steel is designed only to be cheap. It'd seem to me that a billet impeller would be a lot of work for not much, as a cast, machined impeller does all that's necessary. Entirely different shape.

KS