Author Topic: Part I.D.  (Read 5880 times)

RJP

• View Profile
Re: Part I.D.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »
I'll add my .02 cents here...I say the 2nd port is for a oil temperature sender. Was offered on some FEs sold in hot climates. When activated it will cause the dashboard oil light to blink [think turn signal here]. I've seen some references to this in some shop manuals.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
As far as value I paid 100 for 1 several yrs ago and last yr I gave 125 for the second. These were both swapmeet Items.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 07:05:18 PM »
I'll add my .02 cents here...I say the 2nd port is for a oil temperature sender. Was offered on some FEs sold in hot climates. When activated it will cause the dashboard oil light to blink [think turn signal here]. I've seen some references to this in some shop manuals.
To add: The 1966 Ford/ Mercury shop manual has a reference to the oil temp warning light used on both Ford and Mercurys set to activate at 315 deg.F [Sec. 15 pg. 14] With Mercurys that used a oil press. gauge the temp warning light was added to the dash with the gauge. 

chris401

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
To add: The 1966 Ford/ Mercury shop manual has a reference to the oil temp warning light used on both Ford and Mercurys set to activate at 315 deg.F [Sec. 15 pg. 14] With Mercurys that used a oil press. gauge the temp warning light was added to the dash with the gauge.
That is correct but the pickups used the single port pickup oil filter adapter with a steel log that the sensor and the sender screwed into. Thise were common in 65s also. Mine is burried but if I can find a picture I will post it.

This is the same common Ford extention only the pickup sender/sensor has an extra port drilled in thr side:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:19:07 PM by chris401 »

chris401

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »
That is correct but the pickups used the single port pickup oil filter adapter with a steel log that the sensor and the sender screwed into. Thise were common in 65s also. Mine is buried but if I can find a picture I will post it.

This is the same common Ford extention only the pickup sender/sensor has an extra port drilled in thr side:
This cast iron piece is from an Industrial 428 but may have been used on trucks as well. I have not confermed for sure but the C4TE-6881-B threaded ports look like it has two ports on the pressure side and two on the engine oil feed side. Some FT blocks had the air compressor drainback on the passenger skirt.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:16:11 PM by chris401 »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »
Had one like that on my '64 Custom/427. Two senders---one for the oil pressure idiot light, and one for an oil temperature idiot light. Scared me s***less when it came on at the end of my first trip down Milan. The guys from DST were there and I was told it was typical for that momentary 'hot' light after a load such as a trip down the quarter.

I fixed it by creating a deep sump pan from a spare from the boneyard. Cut a hole in the factory pan to let the pick-up stick through---I extended it with a piece of 1/2 inch thinwall---and used as much of the boneyard pan as I could to deepen the pan. The remains of the original sump acted as a sort of baffle.

No more problems with the idiot lights. (I also installed an oil pressure gauge.)

KS

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »
That is correct but the pickups used the single port pickup oil filter adapter with a steel log that the sensor and the sender screwed into. Thise were common in 65s also. Mine is burried but if I can find a picture I will post it.

Your picture is for a small block 260,289,302.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 11:20:35 PM »
+1  427 only.  There is another odd one that was made for the  Cammer .  The front port is angled and it has an XE number instead.

Here is one currently for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/290396945735
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86