Author Topic: beaver springs tech  (Read 2793 times)

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
beaver springs tech
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:40:22 PM »
Seeing I live in a cold state.  I am wondering if beaver springs has a guy that can certify my chassis before the event in april?

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: beaver springs tech
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:38:56 AM »
You can look this over or contact your division director or closest chassis inspctor

http://www.ihra.com/competition/competion-main/itemlist/category/202

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
I was waiting to see if Doug would jump in and answer this. I'm pretty sure there is no NHRA person capable of certifying a chassis at the FE R&R. It's a pretty 'informal' meet where most tech issues are overlooked (as long as the car is basically safe to drive) because nobody is there for the points or money...just the glory and fame 8)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 10:09:22 AM »
That depends on the track insurance.  Beaver is IHRA and they are petty easy going but accidents involving cars that don't meet some minimum requirements for their speed can be trouble.  I would imagine the general safety rules would be the lowest bar

http://www.beaversprings.com/test-n-tune/

When in doubt, ask the track.  Better to know now than get there and be sent away or told "don't go that fast again" because you are missing some safety equipment.  Also - if you are fast enough, not having your equipment looked over and certified is asking for trouble or to get hurt. 

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
Chris gave the best advice, contact the track. If I remember correctly, Beaver Bob has sold the track, so new owners may have a different approach. But just guessing by the original posters question, it sounds like the chassis is up to snuff, it just needs certified. I don't see that being a problem, but again, ask the track.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »
Chassis inspections, where you get your sticker, are generally done by certified chassis inspectors and not the individual tracks tech people, unless it just happens that a tech person is certified to do it. Many tracks each spring hold a chassis certification day before the season starts to make it easy for the chassis inspector to do quite a few cars at once. Otherwise you often have to pay the guy to come to your shop to do it. If you have a race car chassis shop nearby they may have a similar program so the inspector can do multiple cars at once. The best advice is to start with calling the track, or your division office, they should be able to help, as was posted above. Don’t wait until you get to the track because most likely they won’t have a certified inspector on the grounds that day, unless you make arrangements for one to meet you there. I will add, like the others said, last year ( and it sounds like in the past ) Beaver Springs was pretty loose with allowing racers to exceed their chassis spec limit, but past practices don’t guarantee what they will do this year. Here’s an example of what is offered in my NHRA Division each spring.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »
Can't find the bill, but I think it was $160 to cert the dragster chassis for 7.50 up.  Good for 3 years.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:45:32 AM »
My initial cert (7.50 up sportsman door car) was $125.oo . Im getting a re cert next month at mir, gonna cost me $85.oo for the re certification.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »
Lot of local guys will have the inspector come to town and do a handful of cars at once in their garages, dividing the cost between them.
Larry

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 03:38:40 PM »
mines certed nhra.  I know they recognize each other. but I am just going to check with my nhra division 5 office and let them tell me where to go that's why I pay these memberships for.   I live in the upper Midwest so my cert guys im sure are sitting in the house as I am. ;)