Author Topic: Ceramic Coating Headers  (Read 7857 times)

MRadke

• View Profile
Ceramic Coating Headers
« on: January 20, 2018, 12:17:14 PM »
I've seen a lot of talk about the benefits of ceramic coating headers.  Is this something that must be sent to a commercial coater, or can it be done in a home shop or possibly a local powder coater.  If it is something that must be sent out, what is the typical cost for a set of FPA headers? 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Ceramic Coating Headers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
I've got a local shop that does mine.  Their process goes like this.  First, the headers are sandblasted, then they are sprayed with the ceramic powder from a powder coating gun.  Then they are baked to adhere the powder coating onto the headers, and finally the headers are tumbled in a huge tumbler to shine them up. 

No way I would try to duplicate that process at home.  Check for a local coatings shop to get them done.  I've also sent them to Jet-Hot with good results, although shipping gets kind of expensive.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
I had a pair of shorty headers for a 5.0 done by a powder coater in the Poconos about 5 years ago using same process as Jay described charged $180. That was about 5 years ago. The real expense for this operation was the oven. He was doing whole motorcycle frames. Expensive oven

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:47:47 PM »
Make sure,.....that the company has good reviews on quality and reputation.

They need a guy that can spray any coating like a autobody painter. 
My ceramic coated headers and  sidepipes came with the kit from Lonestar Cobra's. The applicator and polisher sucked !
The orange peal was terrible, and everything was burnt off in 3 years. (the welding sucked too)

Pay extra for quality ! 

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 04:04:47 AM »
You might want to try the Mad Scientist (http://madscientistcoating.com/), in upstate NY, not far from Syracuse.  I used him to do the headers on my Comet about 5 years ago.  I live like an hour away from his shop, so I took the headers down myself and dropped them off.  He explained the whole process, how he'd sandblast and prep them, coat them, bake them and then polish them.  Gave me a tour and showed me some of the cars he has.  He told me 2-3 weeks for a turnaround time, it was just over 2 weeks.  I'm very happy with the coating, it's held up very well, and looks good.  It's shiny, almost like chrome.  The coating really keeps the temperature down and makes a big difference in under-hood temperatures.  He has a price list on his website, so you can see upfront what it'll cost.  Hope this helps.
Dan   

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 06:29:02 AM »
A lil tidbit form my limited experience.  Don't break the camshaft in with the headers.  The excessive heat with dull the shiny finish.

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 11:30:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. There is a company in town that does contract work, including metal finishing, for Oshkosh Truck. I'll check with them on Monday.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 06:27:48 AM »
Yes, that is a known issue. One could use the OEM iron exhausts and some short pipe for a rather loud break-in, then swap in the headers.

A lil tidbit form my limited experience.  Don't break the camshaft in with the headers.  The excessive heat with dull the shiny finish.
Bob Maag

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 12:49:56 PM »
Yes, that is a known issue. One could use the OEM iron exhausts and some short pipe for a rather loud break-in, then swap in the headers.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, I plan on putting these on my otherwise stock 352 in place of the flat logs.  If there is a really good reason not to install them, I would listen to that too.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 07:23:38 PM »
I know it is a known issue.... in my case it wasn't feasible to not break them in with the headers.....
I don't mind dull headers, but just wanted to make sure it was something the OP was aware of.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »

You can limit the problem that this causes by making sure you have PLENTY of air moving through the engine compartment, but even more-so by advancing the timing a bit to keep exhaust temps down. Since the engine won't be under load, and limited to 2000-2500 rpms, it shouldn't cause any issues to advance it a few degrees. It makes a big difference.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 06:55:20 PM »
Thought that too Doug.
If I recall I ran the engine at 32degrees of advance and I had an old 36inch greenhouse fan blowing on the engine bay with the hood off.
It was south Georgia in July tho......  Didn't damage anything, just dulled the finish.  Maybe it would have dulled anyway, I dunno.

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »
I got a quote for $250 for the pair.  Does that sound reasonable?  Also, these are going on a 70,000 mile engine, so no cam break in worries.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »
What company is that ?

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 08:17:25 AM »
Madison Powder Coating.