Author Topic: Just a bad way to end the year  (Read 6224 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Just a bad way to end the year
« on: December 27, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
I had to put my little dog Rikki to sleep this morning. That was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. She was nearly 18 yrs old. She was suffering from advanced dementia along with being deaf and nearly blind and having a tumor in her bladder. She seemed to be living in constant state of fear and her quality of life had really deteriorated.  I found her outside of town when she was about 6 months old. I suppose she was dumped. She was such a good buddy.  :'( 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:03:04 PM by AlanCasida »

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: Just a bad way to end the year
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »
i feel for you, been down that road several times before. only pet lovers can really understand the pain one feels. i have no doubt that you have tons of great memories that will forever be with you.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »
 :'(I feel for you. A hard decision to make, I'm glad that the
previous dog we had, Sally died in the sleep at 14 years of age
She loved to ride in the Galaxie with the head out of the rear
side window resting on the catwalk ears flopping and the nose
 searching like a radar.
Or beside me on the benchseat keeping an eye
on the traffic
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:02:59 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

kraut61

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »
  Best dogs I ever had we're free,found or just wandered up... I have paid for just a few and it seems like they allways die within a few years. Current dog was free, a Catahoula and black lab mix, got her from a local town on Rein's Rd., Therefore her name is Reiny. Currently she is about 11 yrs....I know how you feel, I have seen alot of good ones go.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »
Sorry Alan, that's a rough one.
I can't even think about losing mine so I know how you feel.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
Sorry Alan that's always tough.

428 GALAXIE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
Sorry for losing your companion.
Dog's became very dear to you over the year's.
Mikko

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
sorry to hear , just lost mine 12-7-17 , never sick , never felt bad , always close at hand , got sick one day , took her to vet the next day , died the next  , very hard losing a good friend . tearing up thinking about it now .

Fordman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Alan...Very sorry for your loss. We had to put down our manx tomcat on the 23rd, we have had him for 16 years. He was a very unique cat more like a dog than a cat. Made a real tough Christmas this year.....John

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »
Really sorry to hear that, Alan. I know you were worried about her during Drag Week this year.
It really is amazing how attached to pets one can become. Growing up in and having always lived in the country, I've lost a lot of pets over the years, and it never seems to get any easier. All of them were what I call "salvage" pets, found when young or tamed from being wild. They always make the best pets. I lost one this year that was the hardest to take yet. It's still pretty hard to even think about him.

I know it's of little help, but it sounds like you gave her a good life for that 18 years. She was a lucky dog.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Since I never married and have no children this has hit me pretty hard. Rikki was the only pet I've had as an adult and I guess I pretty much looked upon her as my child. Thanks again. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:48:45 PM by AlanCasida »

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 07:49:37 PM »
I know it's of little help, but it sounds like you gave her a good life for that 18 years. She was a lucky dog.

Thanks Doug. Trust me, I was the lucky one.

mike7570

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
I ended last year on a bad note, had to put down my 10yr old pound dog. She had a liver disease and it was a very difficult end of life for her and our family.
Don't want to go through that again. You have to be thankful for the 18yrs, wait a little while and then get another companion to start another chapter of your life with.
We got a new 6 month old mutt last summer and he's a hoot.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:08:12 PM by mike7570 »

chris401

Our Dog
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 01:55:40 AM »
Almost 12 years ago this brown pup found me. A couple of years latter I found the black dog. Mia and Ozzie were protective of us. After my back injury Ozzie became especially cautious. As I started selling off my parts on Craigslist he would briefly inspect the buyers then go to his spot and stare. Other than perked ears he didn't show emotion. Unlike Mia who almost trip someone wanting a pet. Funny how nothing/something would set her off and she would charge Ozzie or the neighbors dog behind the fence. There act kept people suspicious.

June 2015 Ozzie's liver failed and within 5 days he was gone. Mia got depressed and the arthritis took over. June 2016 my wife found a pup and Mia perked back up some. She was always fearless. Like a light switch she would tear after another dominant dog. Sweet dog otherwise. Around the first of this October she got an eye infection we could not control. Within 10 days both eyes were infected, blind and at the risk of rupturing. For the first time she acted like she was scared. October 20th we had a mobile vet come out and put her down at home. I grew up in the country and was used to animals dying. Making the call to have our fighter put down was hard. Especially when she was not ready to give up.

Upset a few people last year when I took Mia and the new pup to Pet Smart. As we walked past the line she went after a York. No sooner had I pulled her back from that dog she scattered another group of dogs trying to get at an Airedale Terrier. They must have looked at her pup wrong.

First picture was about a week before Ozzie died.

Second picture is Joe's first day with us.

Third picture is just about how it always was. Joe stuck by Mia and copied her every move. Once he was full size he would get well deserved random attacks for his foolishment.

Fourth was her last ride.

chris401

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 02:16:23 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Since I never married and have no children this has hit me pretty hard. Rikki was the only pet I've had as an adult and I guess I pretty much looked upon her as my child. Thanks again.
Did get her when you were young? Curious, my first dog was a year older than me and died when I was 16. Like Heo's dog Misty went to sleep.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:34:23 AM by chris401 »