Author Topic: Ford 9" recommendations?  (Read 2697 times)

amdscooter

• View Profile
Ford 9" recommendations?
« on: November 29, 2017, 12:10:57 AM »
Been chasing an odd vibration back from the block and process of elimination is pointing toward the RE. I've been wanting to upgrade to a nodular Trac-lock anyway so now is a good as time as any. The folks I got my new drive shafts from have a pretty reasonbly priced setup here: http://www.justrearends.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=27ab1016-8b4b-4d1a-87ad-e5ea6256ecca. Seems like a good setup for my mild build at about $1150. Any recommendations for alternatives from the crowd?

Thx
-scoot

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Re: Ford 9" recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:36:40 AM »
http://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-9-Complete-Center-Section-Third-Member_p_36.html

I have had several complete housings from these guys with good luck.
Remember, RPM is your friend

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
I don't know about the TracLoc - I personally prefer a DL - but I'd not pay extra for a Ford N case just to have it.  You can get an better case aftermarket for under $350. 

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:51:27 AM »
I have a True Trac and it works great on the street.  No clutches like a Trac Lock and no chatter like a DL.
Jim

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »
Thanks for the advise guys... looking into the True Trac now...  ;)

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
I have ordered a fair amount from Quick Performance. I have nothing bad to say about their prices and support. Great to deal with. I prefer buying my parts separate and building my own junk. I had three different brand trac-loks, all with .007" runout while setting up. Finally talked to Quick Performance about it, and they recommended the toughest one they had, which was a Yukon. It set up with about .001" runout, so that was a plus. I then disassembled the unit to clean it and soak the clutches in a mixture of gear oil and Motorcraft friction modifier. The internals looked a little nicer in this unit also. Made in USA, IIRC.

I put over 1,000 miles on it between the street and a couple passes at the track. I was making around a lil over 400hp, but abused it all the time. Never a problem. Recently pulled it out for a stouter build and replaced with one of their drag spools for $85. I think for 500+hp, I would look at a locker, spool, or true trac to handle the abuse better. JMO
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 10:28:23 AM »
I have a True Trac and it works great on the street.  No clutches like a Trac Lock and no chatter like a DL.

I have a "soft locker" in one of my 9" units and it makes no chatter.  For any racing I prefer a spool.  Burnout and water box prep is critical with a DL because if one tire gets more water than the other it will unlock and throw you sideways in the box.