Author Topic: More 62 Galaxie Progress  (Read 1764 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
More 62 Galaxie Progress
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:14:04 AM »
A couple weekends ago I took my girlfriends nephew Cael to the Broncos/Bengals game, I had never really noticed it before, but after spending the day around him I realized that he is pretty mechanically minded. I talked to him a bit about some of the old cars my family works on and he seemed pretty interested and he asked some pretty good questions. When I was in third grade my uncle bought me a plane ticket to fly from Omaha out to Colorado to come help him take the engine out of his Cougar project car and I thought it was about the coolest thing imaginable, I still remember it. I decided to have Cael come up to my house on Friday and help my dad and I get the engine out of this 62 Galaxie. It's been ready to pull for about a month so this weekend was a great opportunity.

He's a pretty introverted and shy kid, just exactly the same way I was, but it seemed like he had a pretty good time. Hopefully the experience sparked something. Maybe we even created another FE nut. I'll bring him up again when the engine is ready to go back in.

Everything went real well, no surprises. The back of the engine and firewall have A TON of grease caked on them. I have some work to do there. Engine was blowing by pretty bad. I've finally nailed down my plan for it: 428 stroker with tight combustion chamber iron heads and tri power carbs, going to buy a toploader transmission with gear vendors from David Kee. I just got a big bearing station-wagon rear end for it last week so I'm going to start building that out on the bench and swap sometime soon.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: More 62 Galaxie Progress
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »
I missed the opportunity with my kids. I won't with my grandkids.
Great stuff.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: More 62 Galaxie Progress
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 06:35:13 AM »
Cool car and great story. Btw, that one pic of the back of the engine clearly shows a failed China wall cork gasket, the source of all that heavy grease. It's not uncommon will high mileage FE's. Good luck with your project.  :)
Bob Maag