Author Topic: safety harness install question  (Read 3041 times)

Jim Comet

• View Profile
safety harness install question
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:46:53 AM »
where do you install the submarine belt mount on a unibody car. Everything I read says it cannot be mounted to the floor and must be secured to a frame support. Can it be mounted to a plate like you would use on a roll bar install? I looked online at Simpson and RCI and others for instructions and they don't address this situation. Thanks, Jim

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: safety harness install question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:02:17 AM »
In the door cars mine is mounted under the seat through the floorboard with a 3/8 bolt and large washers to spread the load.  A reinforcing plate would do as well.  Never been called out on mine during inspection.  Are you running at an ET/speed that REQUIRES 16.1 restraints or just using them? 

http://promod.nhra.com/userfiles/file/Tech/2017_NHRA_Rulebook_Gen.%20Regs.pdf

Section 10:5 - required 16.1 belt system, partial:
"All harness sections must be mounted to the frame,
crossmember, or reinforced mounting, and installed to limit
driver’s body travel both upward and forward. Seat belts
may not be wrapped around lower framerails. Under no
circumstances are bolts inserted through belt webbing
permitted for mounting."

Section 10:11 partial

"All cars not required by Class Requirements to use SFI 16.1
driver restraint systems must be equipped with an accepted
quick-release-type driver seat belt. Belts must be securely
fastened to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting
so that all fittings are in a direct line with the direction of pull.
Seat belts may not be wrapped around lower framerails. Steel
castings of the type recommended by FAA or U-bolt-type
mounts are permitted. If used for installation, flat steel plates
must be a minimum of 1/4-inch thickness and have rounded
edges to prevent cutting seat belts."

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:37:14 AM »
My car should run somewhere in the 11's. I just want to set up the car correctly and the rule book is a little vague. That is why I was hoping to get some input from guys who have been through a tech inspection that required the submarine belt and what the tech guys allowed. I am thinking of using a 4"x4" 1/8th inch plate top and bottom with an angle iron bracket for the attaching point. Jim

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »
My car should run somewhere in the 11's. I just want to set up the car correctly and the rule book is a little vague. That is why I was hoping to get some input from guys who have been through a tech inspection that required the submarine belt and what the tech guys allowed. I am thinking of using a 4"x4" 1/8th inch plate top and bottom with an angle iron bracket for the attaching point. Jim

That would work just fine.
Bob Maag

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:33:28 PM »
Don't think you need any angle iron, the end of the belt uses a flat bracket.  3/8 bolt through hole in bracket, through floor, through plate.  Everything lays flat on the floor.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »
The guys who built my cage also put in the belt mounts. The double submarine mount points are a piece of angle welded to the floor. The belts come from the ends of the angle up to the buckle area and make sort of a triangle, starting on the floor under my legs. ECTA uses SCTA safety rules. I can't imagine any complaint. The system is complex enough that my Crew Chief hooks me up before I get in line. Arm restraints just allow enough movement to get my helmet on by bowing my head.

KS

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:59:11 PM »
Jim, I used a 6X6 plate on the floor of my Mustang, same size as what is required on the roll cage mounting points for a unibody car.  Never had a tech guy say anything about it.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »
All the mounts in the dragster are wrap around.  It's tight (maybe less so if I'd lose about 20 LOL) in there but no help required.  I use pull up lap belts because there is no room to pull down like in the door car.  Arm restraints go on last thing before rolling out of the lanes.  My helmet clips to my Necksgen so no way to do that with restraints on.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »
Here is another question along the same line. If you are using a stock seat and don't want to cut a hole in the middle of it, should you mount the submarine belt in front of the seat or behind it?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
My submarine belts mount to the floor in front of the factory seat. I run with the seat all the way back. FWIW, all the belt points are wrap-around except as noted. I run a piece of steel cable from the 'shoulder-tube' around the headrest attachments-to-the-seat, held with double cable clamps on each end. Keeps the seat-back tight to the cage.

KS
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:44:07 PM by cammerfe »