Author Topic: Ignition coil mounting  (Read 5569 times)

Jim Comet

• View Profile
Ignition coil mounting
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:07:51 PM »
I decided to buy a new coil for my Comet as the old Mallory was purchased in 1986. I bought an MSD blaster HVC 2 coil. This is a square unit with great reviews. Anyway my question is should I make a bracket and mount it on the engine near the distributor. This would expose it to engine heat and vibration. I could easily mount it on the fender well away from heat and vibration. With that said the engine mounted one would only need a 10 or 12 in coil wire while the fender well mounted one would need a 24 inchish coil wire. What are your guys's thoughts on coil wire length? Is there one disadvantage (coil wire length vs heat and vibration) that outweighs the other? Thanks for the thoughts. Jim

fryedaddy

• View Profile
Re: Ignition coil mounting
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »
i opted to put mine on the fender with a two foot wire.i would rather have the shorter wire,but i didn't want the extra heat and vibs so i put it on the fender-works fine.i still get a spark that will knock you on your butt. lol
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Faron

• Dist Recurve Service l TotalPerfEntofPa@aol.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:44:34 PM »
With todays low ohm wires ( spiro coil style ) a long coil wire is no big deal , with the old carbon impregnated fiberglass , it was a problem waiting to happen , AND of course Do Not use a Solid Core Wire !!

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 05:39:14 PM »
Mounting it on the inner fender with a long coil wire seems common, and I know people that have done it ( mostly racecars ) with no issues. I bought a used MSD HVC coil just before Dragweek in 2015 and changed my car over at that time. I didn't want to change my wiring at that time ( I had enough else to do ), and I had plans to mount something on my inner fender, so I made a bracket and mounted it to the head. My bracket is steel and I put a bend in it to clear the valve cover lip, it uses the two holes on the front of the head. I had no issues on Dragweek, and I plan to do the same with a HVC II coil on the Cougar I'm building. Those coils are heavy, and the bracket I made does flex some, but seems robust enough. I'd be interested if someone has come up with a better bracket - maybe something out of billet aluminum?
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

plovett

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »
Put it on the fender with the longer wire.

JMO,

paulie

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »
I have commonly mounted the coil to the front of the driver's side head on a bracket with enough standoff so there is airflow all around the coil and the air hitting it gets there before running across the engine. The last time I had a coil fail it was mounted to a flathead in the family '53 Merc. I replaced it with a Magspark from Mallory. That would have been in '57.

KS

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:50:49 PM »
Picture of John Calvert's '64 Fairlane Stock Eliminator car ( not my picture ). Inner fender seems to work for him.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

scott foxwell

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 09:53:42 PM »
Mounting it on the inner fender with a long coil wire seems common, and I know people that have done it ( mostly racecars ) with no issues. I bought a used MSD HVC coil just before Dragweek in 2015 and changed my car over at that time. I didn't want to change my wiring at that time ( I had enough else to do ), and I had plans to mount something on my inner fender, so I made a bracket and mounted it to the head. My bracket is steel and I put a bend in it to clear the valve cover lip, it uses the two holes on the front of the head. I had no issues on Dragweek, and I plan to do the same with a HVC II coil on the Cougar I'm building. Those coils are heavy, and the bracket I made does flex some, but seems robust enough. I'd be interested if someone has come up with a better bracket - maybe something out of billet aluminum?

If there's enough flexing, that bracket will eventually crack and break right at the bend. It looks a little thin. IMO a better design would be a thicker piece of flat stock with a couple spacers to move the bracket out far enough to clear the valve cover. 

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 12:25:45 AM »
Picture of John Calvert's '64 Fairlane Stock Eliminator car ( not my picture ). Inner fender seems to work for him.

I love how clean that engine compartment looks.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
I've made a lot of different coil brackets over time. I usually use 10 ga steel since it is fairly easy to work with but still plenty rigid. I'll mount the coil on the end of the head on a race engine or in the valley on a street engine. Here are a few pictures.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »
I mount mine on the forward surface of the left shock tower.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 11:46:27 AM »
Falcon, that was my exact coil and mounting provision that I was using. My car now does not have shock towers so I would have to mount it on the fender well just ahead of where the shock tower used to be. I have some 1/8th inch aluminum plate that I may use to mount it to the front of the cylinder head. I think I would make spacer between the head and plate to avoid having to bend the aluminum plate.

chris401

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »
I decided to buy a new coil for my Comet as the old Mallory was purchased in 1986. I bought an MSD blaster HVC 2 coil. This is a square unit with great reviews. Anyway my question is should I make a bracket and mount it on the engine near the distributor. This would expose it to engine heat and vibration. I could easily mount it on the fender well away from heat and vibration. With that said the engine mounted one would only need a 10 or 12 in coil wire while the fender well mounted one would need a 24 inchish coil wire. What are your guys's thoughts on coil wire length? Is there one disadvantage (coil wire length vs heat and vibration) that outweighs the other? Thanks for the thoughts. Jim
I drove my F-100 for several years with finder well mounted Acell on a 2' coil wire.

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »
I mount mine on the forward surface of the left shock tower.

That's the same place where I used to mount the big Accell Super Coils when I was using them.
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 10:58:05 PM »
Mine too lol.