Author Topic: DragWeek to be covered by SpeedTV this year.  (Read 4490 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
DragWeek to be covered by SpeedTV this year.
« on: June 26, 2012, 12:17:44 PM »
I just got this from a friend. I have mixed feelings about this. I guess the coverage would be kind of neat but I think it is getting on the verge of being too commercialized, for me anyway. I like the idea of showing up at a virtually empty track with just the competitors and a few spectators.

http://www.sourceinterlink.com/2012/05/22/hot-rod-drag-week%E2%84%A2-sells-out-in-record-time-will-make-tv-debut-on-speed-tv/

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: DragWeek to be covered by SpeedTV this year.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »
I know what you mean, there is an appeal to having the racers only at the event.  But at the first Drag Week the Hot Rod TV crew was there, and it was kind of fun to have them.  As long as we're not overrun by spectators, it should still be a pretty good time.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: DragWeek to be covered by SpeedTV this year.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »
Sorry, don't agree at all with the empty track idea.

Example: the NHRA's annual trek this week leads to the Joliet, IL dragstrip SWof Chicago. Me and my bro' plan to attend at least on Saturday as more cars run (Comp/Super Comp/SS/S etc.) than even on a Sunday. But, as in past years I'd be shocked to see this great track even 50% full, even on final eliminations on Sunday.

Why? A multitude of reasons ike the economy, ticket prcies. competing musical events, too many NHRA events, etc.  But in the main IMHO it's the old school f*$#'ed in the head NHRA senior staff who misses the point. Young fellows want to see 4 cylinder Hondas, V-6 Nissans, Toyos and other current era cars run and except for seperate events, these imports are essentially banned for higher class, NHRA event races.

Don't believe me? See any USA based track that runs import-only events and you'd be shocked to see how many fans fill the stands. Ditto for Super Ford or Super Chevy events. NHRA has made a mess of things and nobody can tell me the sport of drag racing, at any level and at any event, is better off with fewer butts in the stands.  Boggles the mind to think that for drag racing.... less is more. No way, Jose'!   

Bob Maag