Author Topic: Renewing Our 427 Cobra With A New 428FE, Tremec, Suspension etc.  (Read 9184 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
At last,....after 9 years of our Cobra sitting in the garage, all alone, surrounded by the snowblower, weed wacker, tools that never put back, garbage etc,
We are back baby !

I'll tell you how exciting this is. If you like emotional stories, please read on, if not, tuff !  lol   (na, just scroll down where there's no more tears)
I live on two sites, here and on a Shelby Cobra website, so some of you have read about this before.

I have a few real bad health issues and recently three almost killed me.

As a two year old and had a bad fall cracking my head open, in a coma for 5 days, and ever since have headaches, migrains and the worst, "electrical zaps" in my head 24/7. I have a 1-10 scale for my pain and changes hundreds of times per day. A few years ago I passed out driving, crossed lanes, into a yard, crashing into a house deck through a glassed in outdoor room and into their living room. None of the 5 people were home, at 5:00 pm. We were all blessed !  My 1/2 ton truck was almost twisted in half. The truck was also holding up the second story, so it stayed for two days. They ended up tearing it all down. I always wear seat belts, but somehow I slipped out of the shoulder harness and ended up laying across the bench seat.  I was blessed because a 2×4 came through the windshield pointed at my head if,....I had stayed upright and a pvc water pipe pointed at my stomach, missing me by a couple inch's. Yes, I beleive and Love God & Jesus. I only cracked my pelvis from the g-force of the lap belt. Could you imagine if I wasn't wearing my seat lap belt and, if I did not slip out of the shoulder belt ? !!!

I'm a diabetic and had such a bad infection that went septic, which means it went into my bloodstream and into all my organs. Was in the hospital for 4 days, back in again after 3. Then the flew me from Ne. by Med Jet to the Mayo Clinic in Mn. Spent 26 days there, almost dying twice. They told my family to make death plans. Well, I fought it and with my faith, family and friends, I survived. So blessed !

Then, last Nov. I had a heart attack. I have three stent's and a pig's valve. My spirit has also come back after loosing 10k when my engine builder stole my Genesis side oiler, new hard drive cam corder, tripod and bag.

We built our Cobra back in 2000 with a 428 FE, Temec 3550, Ford 9" etc. Long story short, it broke a rocker shaft a few years later and decided to have a pro build a Genesis 427 side oiler. I sent him all the parts and $3,000. After 9 months he told me his boy was busted for selling drugs, wife left him and his shop was broken into and all the Genesis blocks, including mine, all my parts and my newer Sony hard drive camcorder to record the build were stolen!  I beleive he sold it all to pay bills. So, after saving for many years to build my dream 427 side oiler engine, he took me for $10,000.
I thought, we were friends.......

So with all that happened, my spirit was broken. I've litterly,...haven't done anything for 10 years. Then one day, BAM,....I beleive the Lord gave me back my spirit !  Although I still have bad moments, hours and days with my head pain, I'm back !

With more great news.

My wife said that in two years, after we pay the bill off from my Med Jet Flight to the Mayo Clinic, we can take out a 10k loan, and I was stoked ! I spoke with my best friend Chad (own's a mechanic and performance shop) about loaning me money to buy a kick ass 8 stack injection system. It was $3,400, the next day, he text me saying, come get the money.
I was very excited, when he handed me the money bag, and gave him a huge hug and kiss on his forehead. He told me to count the money, but could tell it was more than $3,400.

After dropping to my knees in shock, when it came to $15,000, tears came out. I still,.....can't believe he has loaned me the money for two years. Chad is one of those people that everyone likes & loves. We've known each otherfor 20 years and we're more than friends, we have been brothers for 19 of those years. 

So, here's what I've bought, need and the plan.

With the budget I could not afford my dream engine, a BBM aluminum 427 side oiler block, their heads and intake but, even a 390FE, 428FE or old school side oiler would have been tough to build with that cost, plus a transmission and all the smaller part cost which always adds up to quite a bit of money.

After a lot,....of rearching I came across a newly built 428FE by Larry Dove !

It also has a lot of parts that he's made, except it's not his block. I know some people here may not like him or his parts, but I do so please don't start bad mouthing him and I. 

No, it's not my dream engine, but I feel lucky and blessed to still be here and have so many great family members & friends.
I don't know why Mr. Dove sold me his engine, which he was saving for himelf, so low in price, but very thankful  !

$6,500 complete. (should be from $10,000 to $13,000)

Here's his ad and partial list of parts.
428 Ford F.E. + .030 Internally balanced

Speed Pro forged Pistons

Sealed Power File Fit Moly Rings

Eagle H-Beam Connecting Rods

Melling High Pressure/High Volume Oil Pump

Dove Heavy Duty Oil Pump Drive

Dove C.J. Aluminum Heads

Stainless Steel Valves

Heavy Duty Retainers & Locks

Dove Rocker Arm Assembly w/ Heavy Duty Shafts

Dove Tunnel Wedge Intake

Cobra Mustang Low Profile Oil Pan

Dove Aluminum Water Pump

$6,500 bank check or money order.

Lawrence A. Dove

Dove Manufacturing, Inc.

Dove Tool, Inc.

Dove Bookkeeping Service, Inc.
-------------------------------------------------

With the injection setup, it's rated for up to 600 HP. The owner had it on his 445ci FE in his truck. He desided to restore it back to factory, so it would have to go. My hope for a new engine was 600 HP, but if it only reaches 500, with my dream of this 8 stacked, all polished,
and includes everything except for the fuel filter and lines, THAT'S FINE ! lol 

I will paint over the black on the TB's with my Cobra's blue body paint.

More later with plans and photo's.

I'm stoked guys ! Been 9 long,.....years.  :)
Kevin
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:03:36 PM by 427HISS »

427HISS

• View Profile
Re: Renewing Our 427 Cobra With A New 428FE, Tremec, Suspension etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:12:16 PM »
The engine builder that stole my parts 9 years ago, is trying to pay me back. I found him on Facebook so I wrote him a hard mail, but not nasty.
He sent me a $300 bank check and a tote with some of my parts.  Some top of the line one's too, so I'm happy about that. I felt like it was a big wrapted x-mas present, laying them on the livingroom capet (Patty wasn't happy) lol

I'm almost,..... ready to forgive him, but my Patty will never do so. Once he pays me the rest of the money, then I will forgive him. I'm the half full glass and Patty is half empty person. So we work well together. Lol ....

I'll lay all the parts on a table, take pics and post them. I thought this would never happen, so I'm very excited guys ! 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:26:18 AM »
Its great to hear that you are getting something back out of the deal Kevin, congrats!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »
Ok, my build questions/answers will not be in order.

Yesterday I received a tote box with many of my parts from 10 years ago. I'll share a list and photo's of them.

Question. I have a wonderful balancer from Inovators West, FE Ford 7 Inch Harmonic Balancer. (work of art)
but the engine I bought already has one connected to the crank.

Here's the dumb question.
I beleive,....the rotating assembly was balanced, so am I stuck with the one it has or can I replace it with the Inovators West ?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
FE harmonic balancers are all neutral balanced.  You can swap on the Innovator's West balancer, no problem.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:29:32 PM »
If the rotating assembly was balanced with the one that is on the crank now,  would that be an issue with replacing it with the Inovators ?
Or it wouldn't matter ?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:48:39 PM by 427HISS »

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 10:28:54 PM »
As Jay mentioned, your harmonic damper should not have been touched during that previous balance job. 

Unless you see suspicious fresh drill holes in that old damper, you can swap in your new one with no issues.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 10:45:07 PM »
Ok, sounds great.
Thank you guys.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »
Question. Will the great quality of the Inovators west balancer aid any better balancing and harmonics vs the one that's already mounted ?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 10:39:39 PM »
I would think.....

Yes it would technically help.  Even more so if you had a really big stroker
No you will never see the rpm for it to matter.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 10:07:14 AM »
If the attached balancer is just fine, not making a big difference, I could sell Inovators west to add the the build budget. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:38:20 PM by 427HISS »

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »
Anyone ?

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 05:45:55 PM »
Does your IV have crank trigger option?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »
Nope, don't need one inmy case.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 10:20:29 PM »
I see now, that was a site photo, not what you actualy have.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.