Author Topic: Crower rods  (Read 4097 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Crower rods
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
Sportsman I beam series , are they good rods ? Max Hp rating ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

scott foxwell

Re: Crower rods
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »
Any Crower rod is a good rod. Rods really can't be rated for HP. Bolts are usually the weak link and they're more rated for rpm than HP.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:43:03 PM »
I use them all the time.  They do them in large runs to keep the cost down.  Sometimes they are out of stock if they sell out before a big batch comes through.  They are forged in the US, in Texas actually.  Not as expensive as a billet, and a step up from Scat and other offshore offerings.  Personally, if I plan to exceed 700 hp on a build, I generally use the Crower Sportsman as a stronger, budget alternative to Crower billets.  Crower estimates them to be 1000 hp capable, but that is not an exact science.  I usually stock the 6.625 and 6.700 Big Block Sportsmans.  I have used a few sets of Molnars for that "in between" need.  I think they are the highest quality machining of the Chinese rods, and may be held to a more strict metallurgy.  When I want the best, the billet Crowers still get my vote.  I have never seen one give up without contributing factors.
Blair Patrick

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:21:57 PM »
Crower is an excellent item - no question about it at all.

I generally start out with Scat stuff, move to a bolt upgrade, and on more serious stuff move to a Callies piece.
Once you hold a Callies I beam in your hands you will be very, very impressed...  FWIW Callies stuff is forged in Trenton, Michigan and machined in Fostoria , Ohio.

scott foxwell

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 08:04:20 AM »
If you want to learn something about rods, talk to Tom Molnar. He was "the" engineer at Oliver, started K1, and now has his own line. He's one of the nicest/easiest guys you'll ever talk to and VERY knowledgeable on the subject. IMO his H beams are as good as anything on the market. I'm with Barry on Scat. I've seen the Scat forged ProComp rod in 800 hp 7000 rpm big block builds. I've never seen a Scat H beam break. The Engine Pro H beam is the same forging as the Manley and I've used them in 1000+ hp, 8000 rpm builds. The Callies stuff is very nice and their Ultra Series rods are top tier. Of course, none of these choices matter if you're using stock length, stock configuration rods. Then your choices are limited.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 08:22:52 AM »
I saw Scat H-beam break 1" below the piston pin in a BBC.  Piston froze in the bore.

scott foxwell

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 08:44:42 AM »
I saw Scat H-beam break 1" below the piston pin in a BBC.  Piston froze in the bore.
Any rod can break in the right circumstances.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »
I was interested in the Crower rods. Picked up a new set from Jim Morgan this weekend at the ford feaver  classic im Buds Creek . Great price from a good guy. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 06:23:31 PM »
That's cool!  Small world.......I sold those to Jim a while back.  He changed ideas and wanted to sell them.  Glad that worked for both of you.  Morgan is a top-shelf individual in my book.
Blair Patrick

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 02:42:37 PM »
he has a few more pieces im interested in so im looking and doing some more deals with him in the future both purchases and later on some of his services. maybe ill get lucky and find you there and convince you to join in on some FE tuning .  ;D
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 07:16:14 PM »
I get up there about once a month to dyno four or five FEs.  Hoping to have my dyno going by the first of the year, but I have enjoyed Mr. Jim for many years.  Anything he does for you will be top notch and well-processed.  Guy is very smart and one of two mentors that took me a long way in the right direction early on.  I say good for you!
Blair Patrick

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 11:10:25 PM »
X2 Jim is a top shelf guy. A wealth of knowledge and lots to learn from him.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 04:19:37 AM »
Back in 2000 when I broke the stock crank in my 428, the Scat rods held on for dear life.  Four twisted into all kinds of odd shapes, but never broke.
Larry

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »
Hey Larry, which style of Scat rod are you referring to? I-beam or H-beam? Just curious....

Sorry for the thread hijack Keith.
Kevin McCullah